Thread: Am I suffering from OCD or health anxiety?

Am I suffering from OCD or health anxiety?

Hi all
    Firstly a big thank you to the forum for replies I've had so far. I will start trying to help others now.
    My question is whether I've got health anxiety or OCD.
    I'm constantly worrying about chemicals and ingredients in paint, laundry detergent, perfumes etc etc
    I know I over react. I just go into a massive panic if I read online there's something else that might kill me! I've got mild asthma so wonder if that makes my concerns worse.
    I've always been a perfectionist and control freak and don't know if these things have just spiralled out of control. I just don't feel laid back and normal anymore.
    Has anyone else with OCD been like this?

I've just started therapy with a really nice and insightful guy who I think will help a lot.
    Thanks in advance to all
    Nighttime Pacer

Re: Am I suffering from OCD or health anxiety?

I think health anxiety and ocd are on the same spectrum to be honest, especially when your health anxiety can end up with you repeatedly checking yourself/seeking reasurance. Im no expert but from what Ive read, I think if you only had health anxiety and no other tendencies then it would just be health anxiety. Anyone with other things like ocd, Id say its more likely part of that. I feel mine is anyway .

Im glad you have started therapy, its much easier to handle things with someone asking you the right questions and keeping you on track

Re: Am I suffering from OCD or health anxiety?

Yeah, as was said above Health Anxiety is definitely on the same spectrum as OCD. I suffer from Health Anxiety and often engage in behaviors quite similar to those with OCD, as I have a compulsion to always be checking my body for rashes/lumps etc and constantly need reassurance from Doctors as well as friends and family about my health when I'm especially bad with it. But, It's probably not good to try and make a distinction between the two based on our responses here. I'm sure if you're talking to a professional about it they will be able to diagnose between the two effectively.

Thread Information