Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't accept that I will die

Can't accept that I will die

I live in constant fear of death I really don't want to die im scared . I'll never wake again I'll never smel feel touch again ill be nothing no feelings no emotions I'll just be burnt not even here any more or rotting in the ground im absolutely terrified I don't believe in the after life or heaven etc..., I won't see anything what happens I don't want to die I realloy don't ... I have this immense fear of it

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

The years go by so quick why can't it all just slow down and stop

Re: Can't accept that I will die

There is only one thing guaranteed in life and that is that we will all die at some point and we won't know anything about it.

All you can do Emma is spend your time living not spend it waiting to die

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Emma

This is a difficult one. Anxiety is normally based around what ifs which often don't come true, but obviously I can't say that regarding dying. No matter what you think, it will happen. You have to try to enjoy the life you have before that does happen. You cannot stop it.
    I really think someone needs to do more to help you. Can you move to a different doctor? They seem to be ignoring you. You worry so much, and need some kind of therapy or cbt to help you. You're young and should be out enjoying life. You either need to be very forceful with your doctor or find a new one. It's not right,surely they can see how distressed you are. Are you completely honest with them? Maybe you could show them your posts on here, as it's sometimes difficult to say everything when you're there. X

Emma, I too have this fear. I can't remember if you have mentioned it, but have you experienced a death of a loved one? That's what triggered my intense fear of death. It is like it all of a sudden becomes real, whereas prior it was just this thing you knew would happen but didn't really worry about. I still struggle with it. Therapy and medication have helped a little, but it's still always there.

Thanks id like to know how people can not be scared? Thinkoing about it now I've always been scared even from a little girl about death and ive not even had anyone other than distant reletives die. No close family etc... Nicola not knowing is the worse it's hard to explain what scares me I guess that it's the fact that in thousands of years no one will even know I lived on this earth ... Also the fact that I'll never wake again etc... Do you ever feel like that ? Or does it not phase you at all ? Sometimes I wish I had a belief but I don't I can't believe in things like heaven and hell I think that would be a comfort... I just think you rot and that you never wake again you can't feel nothing... Lizzie I'm not even sure my doc gets it I had a few weeks of counselling at one point but didn't find it much use maybe because I was to closed off or had a closed up mind about it D wouldn't let it work

I nearly died once Emma so it made me aware that we can all just be here one day and not the next. It does not worry me and I try to make the most of living now cos that is all I can do really.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Emma. Sorry to hear you are going through this. It can be totally debilitating if you allow the fear to take hold of your life. Don't let it - Nicola is right, you don't want to waste your life worrying about something you have absolutely no control over. I know it's easier Said than done which is why agree with what another previous poster said about seeking help.

I have a fear of dying also and have found CBT in conjunction with medication to treat anxiety/panic, successful.

I also found a resource on here that offered me a great deal of comfort when trying to accept/rationalise that I will die one day
    @ http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/healthanxiety/

Most of the article deals with HA (and is also very helpful) but I would refer you Especially to the section at the end on fear of illness and dying. There is a great paragraph comparing death to birth and also death to falling asleep each night. Eg. Where do we 'go' when we sleep yet we are not afraid of it etc.

As terrifying as dying is, I find not living my life because of it far worse
    Good luck and big hugs
    (Edward Monkton)

Hi Emma,

I really feel for you right now, and I also can relate to this. What you have said is exactly how I too feel alot of the time. I am afraid to even sleep a lot of the time incase I don't wake up but I always do wake up. You can slow life down and try take in every second, minute etc and try get out and do productive things eveyday and you will start to really appreciate things and you will feel better. The thoughts you are having are not thoughts you need to be having, you shouldn't be consumed by these terrible thoughts. I am now on an antidepressant a few weeks and I am starting to feel a bit better. My thoughts aren't taking over as much and I am been more rational in my thoughts too as I suffer with health anxiety badly. I hope to get to do soem cognitive behavioural therapy too and I would recommend that you try that or the medication or both or at least go to your doctor and ask for more help as there is help out there and its not nice to live in fear.
    Take care xxx

This is my big fear too. I have suffered HA on and off since my teens and I'm now 48. I find the older I get the more I fear death. My recent episode of HA and fear of dying was sparked off by the death of my dad and I ended up in a psychiatric hospital where I was put on anti depressants which have helped a bit with the HA. I would say that my HA is due entirely to my phobia of death, if I wasn't scared of dying I'd be fine and like you, Emma, I wish I believed in life after death it would be a comfort.

As has been said, it's the one certainty in life and there's nothing we can do to avoid it. I try hard to not waste the time I have left worrying about it but it's hard and it fuels my HA.

Sorry that I have nothing more helpful to say but I find it helps knowing that I am not alone in my fears, though I find it sad that others feel the same way I do as it sucks.

just wanted to say this is by big fear also...
    i suffer from HA -depression and because i fear deth so much it fuels all my anxiety and depression ....
    i no the fear of death is my biggest problem had it years ...
    i no we should be just living and enjoying life as its gonna happen anyway to us but i cant get my head around it never have been able to ever....
    i totaley understand where your all coming from x
    daz...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information