Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off balance and sore neck

Off balance and sore neck

Hey

I've been lurking for a few days, basically coming here instead of google, cos as we all know that opens a can of 'oh my god I'm definitely dying'.

About 4 months ago now I started feeling off balance, not dizzy just if i stop sometimes it feels like the floor is swaying slightly. I went to the docs about a week later when I had a cold and he looked in my ears and said they looked fine, he said it was probably a virus and not to worry.

2 weeks later I was still feeling off balance so I went back to the doctor because everytime I googled I covinced myself of a brain tumor. Dr didnt check my ears this time but basically told me it was anxiety and to just calm down and come back if it still didnt get better.

SO about 2 weeks later, I booked another appointment as i still felt off balance and I was getting anxious about dying etc. This time I went to a different Dr, a woman one. She looked in my ears and striaght away told me i had fluid build up in my ears and it was most likely sinus/hayfever related. she gave me some nasal spray and said to come back to talk about anxiety meds when the off balance cleared up.

Well, two weeks later I still felt off balance when walking, its not enough to make me lose balance or anything but its off putting. I went back to a different dr in the same surgery and she confirmed the ear fluid/sinus problem even when I mentioned my neck tightness and like a heat up one side of my head from the back of my neck but only on one side.

Ive always had neck stiffness and posture problems as Im in a wheelchair or use crutches due to cerabal palsy.

My last visit to the Dr I had a hearing test which was the same as it has been for years, I'm a little tone deaf on left side and always have been. As they had no record of my tone deafness due to me moving a few years ago the doc said she would try to find my old results and if she COULDNT she would book me an appointment with ENT to be sure.

That was three weeks ago and I'm still feeling off balance, some days my neck hurts and the burning is in the back of my neck and left side of head where it usually is, more so when I'm anxious.

I've been to 3 doctors and they all know my symptoms and dont seem too worried so, should I be? I just keep googling and freaking myself out that I have a B T! like just now i gave in and read on a google search that weird sensations in the head could be a tumor :(

I hate google but I cant get the idea of having something serious even though my drs say it couldnt be a tumor and I'd be very sick etc if it was.

Sorry for long post, Im just worried

Any advice, do you think its just anxiety mixed with inner ear/neck problem? just need some more reassurance really.

Nikkii

Re: Off balance and sore neck

Hi, I have been dealing with the same worry. The key thing you said is COULD be a brain tumour in the same way a headache COULD be a brain tumour but realistically it's a migraine or tension, your problem could be caused by a million and one things but it's most likely stress, as the more you think and concern about the problem the more it's there making your symptoms worse. Doctors know what there talking about, you questioning their judgement is like going for a meal at a restaurant and questioning weather or not they cooked the food properly, if any of the doctors had a slight bit of worry they would have taken action. My granddad has a brain tumour and like he tells me all the time 'If you had a brain tumour, you would know about it..' try not to concern yourself and try and put it at the back of your mind!

You do make an excellent point and I know your right. My logical mind is telling me to calm down all the time and when I do, at least the neck/head pains are next to nothing. but certain days I just seem to panic myself and feel so much worse.
    I have another cold now so of course I feel crappy anyway.

I know a brain tumor (which i have worried about for at least a year off and on) would be worse by now...I soldier on

I hope you are feeling less worried yourself

Today has been one of my off days but I have them from time to time, trying to think logically more often, haha and I hope you are feeling better soon

I hope so too, I got this tension in my neck in January which caused heat all over my head the more I panicked. After I went to a Dr back then and she said it was just a neck tension thing it dissipated completely until i got this inner ear/sinus complaint and now the tension is back

Some days are better than others and I'm hoping tomorrow is one of them. for you too!

Fingers crossed for us both then!

Hiya,

I've had the same problem (see my posts). Started with a cold and sore throat/ear. Some up next morning with vertigo. Massive anxiety followed as I was sure I was dying. To cut a long story short and so I don't repeat my previous posts, the dizziness has been coming and going for 3 weeks and I went to dr yesterday who said my ears were completely congested with fluid. I've got a nasal spray but she did say that recovery is not an overnight thing and can take time, especially when you have anxiety thrown into the mix. However, I also have had a stiff, achey, painful neck an wondered if that was causing the dizziness as well.

I just wanted to say I know how you feel, it's a scary feeling. I really hope you feel better soon.

Big hugs xx

Hey.
    Thank you for your reassurance
    I'm sorry that you too are feeling this way, my ears have always been prone to infections but I was ALOT younger when I had my last one before this fluid/sinus thing.It didnt help that my first two visits to docs the guy did nothing to help but the other two doctors were alot more reassuring and helpful so...

Yes it is a slow process I have been told and anxiety is a symptom of ear infection/sinus.

Its good, in an odd way to know there are others having similiar problems, logically we are not dying as the docs could tell if it was serious.
    The anxiety is making me tense I'm sure, some days I get no pain in my neck or head but on panicky or over thinking days i just feel really crappy.

I really hope you feel better soon, if not im (now) around if either of you want a chat.

talking to others has helped me calm down a bit.
    Tyler: Is that probable?
    Ally Craig: It's possible. What if I choke? What if an asteroid come hurling down onto the restaurant?... I'll tell you what, if you swear on your eternal soul that I'll make it through my entree, then I'll wait.

Hey

So today I woke up and my head felt fine but as soon as I did wake up I was kinda waiting fr my neck and left side of my head to hurt. basically I've managed to convince myself I'm dying again because the more i think about it, I get like a tight naralgia type feeling on the side of my head and my neck hurts that side too. :( the dr told me this was muscle related but I have no idea why its only ever on the one side of my head/neck.
    The only thing I can think of muscle related is that I had a trapped nerve in my shoulder the same side a few years back AND I only really use my left arm for most things.
    Washing my hair
    pushing my wheelchair
    typing etc

I think my left side is just really tight but i dunno, its sunday, not much going on and I'm worried again that im gonna die from something terminal :(

Any advice?
    Last edited by Nikkii28; 14-10-12 at 16:14.
    Tyler: Is that probable?
    Ally Craig: It's possible. What if I choke? What if an asteroid come hurling down onto the restaurant?... I'll tell you what, if you swear on your eternal soul that I'll make it through my entree, then I'll wait.

One thing I do know is muscle tension is like one of my main symptoms, I have been told that it's anxiety related. I get neck/shoulder/eye/head tension and also occasional muscle twitching when I'm stressed, so many symptoms lol... I have convinced myself of so many illnesses I look back 8 months I had heart failure not so long ago I had parkinsons disease and now I have a brain tumour it's ridiculous today is one of my off days too, kinda nervous all day :(

I'm only 18 as well, so I have no idea why I though I had parkinsons lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information