Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor won't/can't help!

Doctor won't/can't help!

Hi after suffering a huge panic attack in October2004 I was eventually adnitted to hospital and diagnosed with labyrinthitis (viral dizziness)and given medication for that.

As a result of that I became kind of agoraphobic. In hindsight maybe there was no viral illness and I has some sort of breakdown? I dont know. Any way the doctor prescribed me valium twice on a low dosage but I saved them for emergencies and didnt really want to get in the habit of taking them.

I have been back several times to the doctors but am getting worse not better. he says go out loads and you will get back in the swing of things. i have managed to stay working and am not too bad while i am there but at home I am a nervous wreck for NO REASON!

I have just had enough and feel my children would have a happier, more exciting life without me weighing them down with all this rubbish. I have a nice home, job, healthy happy children and a supportive family so know i am lucky so why am I so ungrateful by ot being happy. This permanent anxiety and worry about nothing in particular is starting to really affect me now.

I tried this morning to take my daughter into town for her school uniform and had to turn back as was shaking, feeling faint and sick and had already suffered 'tummy trouble' at the thought of going(sorry to be crude).

Tomorrow I am going to the doctors and this time i want help.Could anyone offer me any advice about what I could suggest to my doctor if he tries to fob me off again as I am quite timid. i would really appreciate any advice. I dont know what i would do if he tried to send me to a 3rd party as i wouldnt be able to go with all the panic.

Sorry to be so pathetic and depressing but I am having a really bad day.

hi

when you go to the doctor ask what any mental health team maybe able to offer you--could you be referred for cbt sessions--i think if you go along with your suggustions to put forward the doctor may then realize that you are aware of more help out there, which you may be entitled to---the doctor may then see that by telling you to go off and get into the swing of things is not enough support--also why not ask to see a different doctor at the practise who may have a different view on things--fell free to pm me if you'd like i am in a similar situation and know what's it like!
    take care
    farrah

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I have made a note of your comments and am gonna take them with me tomorrow as i sometimes get a bit flustered when I am in there. I am just so worrieddf I will not be able to go where he sends me (if he does) as i will wimp out and lose my courage.

I have seen both doctors at the practise. One just stuffs valium in my hand and politely tells me to leave. The other uses a nicer approach but basically has just told me now to deal with it and thats not much help to me as Im sure you agree. I may have to think about changing doctors I( suppose.

cbt and someone to do breathing exercises called a phisiotherapist. believe me it isnt easy to get it off some of them but it is essential

let us know how it goes

take care

jackie

hi
    i would buy dr claire weekes books-(self help for your nerves) or see if they have it on loan from the surgery or library, it is marvellous, it explains so much that gp:s just dont know about or are too busy to care much. have you tried ads? they do help to control it a bit but it is really down to you. also write down a list of symptoms and questions for the doc, dont be put off by them thats wot they are there for, we pay their wgs-remember that
    take care pm me if you need more advice
    juju

we are all stronger people after having this

Hi ya,
    about two month ago i felt dizzy and i too was diagnosed with labrynthitus. i was of work for 5 weeks. it was such an unpleasant feeling. i felt fine in myself but felt constantly drunk. im ok now though but i find i still get abit dizzy every now and again. try some counselling perhaps, get refered by your gp or get some books about it and try to read up on panic attacks. it might help u understand it better. you're not alone...we're all here to help take care
    love,
    twiglet xx

Hi Ya first of all good luck at the docs! secondly dont let them fob you off with pills or any rubbish!!! Iagree with what the others have said re cbt etc if i were you asked to be referred to a psychiatrist ( not as scary as it sounds i promise!) mine had been a rock over the years they really know what they are talking about and are bang up to date with all new treatments etc that are available!! take care and let us know how you get on best wishes kaz x

Hi

Write down what you want to say. I had to ask my doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist who adjusted my meds and a lot later he referred me to a psychologist who used CBT.

Dont' dispair. I was completely agoraphobic for 3 years. Lately I started to go out with my daughter. Now I can drive to the doctors and the dentist (have a driving phobia), walk one of my dogs a small way and go to the shop in the morning to get a newspaper. Everythink is baby steps but first you need to sort your doctor out.

Hope all goes well.

SHEENA

**he says go out loads and you will get back in the swing of things. i have managed to stay working and am not too bad while i am there but at home I am a nervous wreck for NO REASON!**

Whilst his way of describing it is far from helpful and he has skipped several steps, the underlying theory is correct.

You probably manage work as it keeps you busy and your attention is occupied, plus you are amongst people you know whilst at home and voluntary trips out your thoughts can wander and you can dwell on feeling rubbish and this perpetuates the circle of fear and brings on the physical symptoms of anxiousness which you are describing.

Thoughts
    Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..
    How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..
    Its happening again !
    Things to consider for success!
    [Link removed as post deleted]
    Thoughts
    image projection in my mind

The Battle that Rages in my Head
    struggling...
    TAKE A STAND?!

Dealing with docs
    need to see a shrink - what can I expect??

Understanding why you feel as you do will help so the Claire weekes book is fab plus having some support from the local Mental health team can help too.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

when a close friend went through a rough patch while still being able to do lots of things she found coping homelife was difficult and she was dizzy and shaking but her dr didnt listen so i went in as back up and he changed her meds she did the same for me when i hit a bad patch earlier this year, we find having someone else there saying how the other ones feeling helps the dr to do something

netty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information