Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fluoxetine anxiety hell

Re: fluoxetine anxiety hell

Starting up fluoxetine can be a terrible rollercoaster. And those low days after some good days are so discouraging. You are not alone in the fluoxetine journey

Yes it is normal to have bad days after some better ones, it really is up and down for the first few weeks.

It is also normal to have parts of the same day that are different, I had some days when I went to bed feeling better and then woke up feeling absolutely awful and hour later.

Hang in there it is worth it.

Janine

Hi I'm only on day 5 lame I know I'm on 20mg then gos up to 40mg In 2 weeks and the depression is so low and reading these reviews please hoping 6 to 8 weeks isn't the reality time to feel better

Hi Lisa, just wanted to send some reassurance that things do get better. I am just approaching the six week mark and, like you, when people said to me 6 weeks to feel better I thought I couldn't cope waiting that long. It isn't a black and white matter though. I started having short good moments and then the good times got longer and the bad times got less intense. From this week I have felt that I am feeling a real difference and although I'm not back to normal, I do feel that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It helped me to research the physical symptoms I was having. Realising that the tight throat, dizziness, spaced out feeling, loss of appetite, etc. were all typical symptoms of anxiety helped me to realise that I wasn't going mad or losing control. Keeping a diary of the good times as well as the bad has also helped me to focus on the progress I have made as it is easy to think that everything is black. Finally, I have tried to do one thing each day out of my comfort zone. It may be seeing a friend, tidying one room, going to Tesco, etc. This slowly gets you back into the real world and gives you a sense of achievement. If you don't do it, however, don't beat yourself up about it - just put it down to having a day off and do it tomorrow!

I am still having physical symptoms and anxiety, but now that the first few horrible weeks are over, I can see how far I have come. I do feel frustrated as I want to be completely better NOW, but I'm more accepting that it takes time. This forum has really helped me to get through the toughest time and the fact that other people understand how you feel made such a difference to me. For me, I am trying to think about my progress over a week rather than concentrating on how I'm feeling at each available moment. On reflection, the times that I have found the hardest are when I have made the most progress.

I apologise for going on with my reply, but hang on in there. Give yourself credit for how far you've come. You're through the worst and you're taking the medication. You will feel so much better by Christmas and can start the New Year feeling stronger and happier. Sending us all big hugs....

I am on the 6 week mark and no better
    I have read it takes 8 -12 weeks dont know if I can stand it

Love joy

Woke up this morning with nausea and I have a tremor in my hands and shake like I'm a bit weak when I lift something like a cup up lol :/ Went to the Docs this morning and he thinks I should persevere and that 10mg is a low dose and he thinks I should really go up to 20-40mg for anxiety :/ Just taking it minute by minute, thankfully he signed me off work for 2 weeks (although the boss will hate that). OCD has gotten worse also, was stuck turning a light switch on and off for 7 minutes :( That was so frustrating I wanted to scream!!

Doc said 6-8 weeks yet I still have to increase my dose so will be longer, balls :(

Previous Medication:
    Propranalol, Sertraline, Seroxat and Citalopram

Song covers on sound cloud:
    http://soundcloud.com/nathan-daly

I have just started on fluoxitine. I tried cipralex and it help a bit but not a lot. Doc weaned me off of cipralex. So I took no drug for a week. Now I am on my 5th day of fluxotine and my anxiety,worrying and being scared when alone has made me wonder how I will ever be able to hold my job. I am far away from family and have few friend that live close. I mean how do you explain to you boss about your problem. I am really not sure if I should just quit or if my doctor would place me on sick leave. I am so scared and alone. Any suggestions???

Hi shygurl

It does get better. I'm on day 40 now and pretty much all side effects have gone. Still get the odd wave of panic first thing but not often. Week 2 and 3 were the worst for me. It's tough but you can make it through.

Hi Shygurl, I totally understand how you feel. First weeks are not nice on fluoxetine. I am off work since 4th of December. definitely don't quit your job. You are ill and if you tell your doctor that you don't feel like working because of anxiety he will give you sick note. Extra pressure at work is not good if you feel terrible. You are not alone

Thanks for advice Arnie. I just find it hard when I work with kids to hold myself together. I don't want the kids to be afraid or worried about it too. I find my thinking is really bad and all over the place. That's why I am not sure how to explain this stuff to my employer. I mean it is just after me being off for 2 weeks for Christmas. It's just really bad timing.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Hey PRINCESS thanks for your support. I came here because I was starting to think no one understood what I am going through. The problem with the job thing is that I work privately so it make it more complicated as there would be no one to look after the kids if I took time off.
    Last edited by shygurl; 04-01-13 at 20:48.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information