Thread: Depressed as talking therapy isn't working will CBT?

Depressed as talking therapy isn't working will CBT?

Hi all
    My obsessions are all health related mainly about worries from chemicals in paint or furniture or toiletries. Also over reacting to any minor health symptoms I have. So I guess a mix of health anxiety and OCD.
    The trouble is I'm 9 weeks in talking therapy and getting nowhere at all. I feel slightly better while I'm talking to the therapist but as soon as I leave I'm back where I started.
    Has anyone had good results from CBT? The therapist I'm seeing thinks it's something in my past which has triggered it all but as after 9 weeks I'm nowhere nearer finding out what I'd happily just learn to cope with the anxiety better.
    Sorry for posting something similar on the health anxiety board. I wasn't sure where it should go.
    Thanks for reading.
    Nighttime Pacer

Re: Depressed as talking therapy isn't working will CBT?

What type of therapy are you having? Counselling?
    CBT is the best evidence based treatment for OCD alongside an SSRI x

Before I was scheduled CBT I saw a counsellier who just talked. I saw him for 5 sessions, but I felt like you, that I wasn't getting anywhere and it wasn't really helping.

I can't offer you any advice on CBT at the minute as I'm only 2 welcome sessions in and a 3 weeks break after she was off ill. Another appointment on Monday so I'm hoping it will help me!

Everyone on here talks about CBT and some people have had great results with it so I would think this is the best step forward

~Stamist~

Hi

Sounds like psychodynamic counselling.

I agree with starlight, CBT has the best success rates for ocd (it has been the most studied for ocd hence used by NHS). I tried CBT for ocd about 6 years ago - I was too ill to make use of it at the time though. It is based on challenging ocd thoughts and stopping carrying out certain behaviours (depending on what ocd symptoms you have). It is difficult as the clinical psychologist will give you homework to do when away from their office in practising what has been learned in the session. Generally it is time-limited I think 6 to 12 sessions (but it depends on individual cases). Perhaps you should give it a go and see if it does help particularly if it is available to you on the NHS.

little wren

Hi

my therapist is running a mixture of CBT and talking therapies. Ive only had two sessions so far before the Christmas break so not sure how she will do it, whether the sessions will be split or she may alternate?

Anyway, she has told me the CBT is very much focussing on the here and now and not on events in your past. Its about challenging and then accepting thoughts as just that, thoughts, not always reality.

My therapist too thinks something from earlier in my life is lurking behind my anxiety and thats why she wants to mix it up. CBt to help me tackle my anxiety now but talking therpay to deal with whatever is sat behind it all.

I would perhaps ask your therapist about introducing some CBT as well?

Good luck

Talking therapy or Freudian therapy is utterly useless for OCD and almost all anxiety disorders and most mood disorders, Just talking about thoughts and feelings does change your behaviour to OCD and thus it will never make it better.

CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy changes how you behave towards your anxious thoughts and thus they lose their power.

It took me 6 months to "cure" my OCD, I still have an OCD thought every now and then but I don't even have to think about my reaction it is just automatic now. The day I finally new OCD will never hold over me is when I actually laughed at the thought, I egged it on.

I would go as far as to say that talking therapy or Freudian therapy is not an option for an actual mental disorder.
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Thread Information