Thread: Lumbar Puncture results

Lumbar Puncture results

I've recently had a lumbar puncture and the doctors came back and gave me my results. They told me that my white blood cell count was 6.0 and that, that was a little high? The doctors were worried I had meninghitis but obviously I don't. I was discharged two days later.

I'm just worried - The doctors would tell me if they thought I had MS wouldn't they?

I asked the doctor my white blood cell count and he said that the range is 0 - 5 and that my cell count was 6. So I'm sort of scared I have MS. I also have constant grainy vision which I'm scared is caused by optic neuritis but my optometrist tells me my eyes are 100% fine.
    Last edited by Ziggy455; 28-11-12 at 20:40.

Re: Lumbar Puncture results

I think the most common reason for high white blood cells is an infection of some kind. So if you have been ill recently then you might have a high white cell count, as I think this is how your body fights the infection.

If your doctors were concerned about the results in anyway they would tell you and be doing further tests.

Re: Lumbar Puncture results

Quote Originally Posted by Stands mum View Post
    I think the most common reason for high white blood cells is an infection of some kind. So if you have been ill recently then you might have a high white cell count, as I think this is how your body fights the infection.

If your doctors were concerned about the results in anyway they would tell you and be doing further tests.
    High White Blood Cell count points towards MS because I had no infections or anything else at the time of the lumbar puncture and the doctors were more concerned about a bleed. They were NOT looking for MS. So now I'm worried.

The normal range is 0.0 to 5.0 but mine was 6.0.

Thread Information