Thread: Blood Test Fears

Blood Test Fears

At the risk of sounding like a broken record from here: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...02#post1080402 I have a bloodtest tomorrow, and possibly a scan of some kind afterwards for a small movable hardish lump on my neck (I can't tell if it'sd hard or soft, it's about pea sized and quite flat, but it does move about a lot which is a good thing isn't it?)

I called the Doc this morning to check whether or not I needed to fast for the test (I don't) and she told me a few of the things they're testing for - thyroid (the big one that worries me), blood count, electrolyte check (what is that anyway?), liver check, etc etc. I think this is routine for stuff that hasn't gone away in a while but... urrrrgh.

I'm kind of terrified I have thyroid cancer or something like that. How the heck do I calm down?

Re: Blood Test Fears

Hi, I know how you feel because I always feel like you do even if the tests are just normal and routine. I know my doctor will check for everything if I have to have a blood test as he says the blood will do all the tests so might as well.
    If the lump in your neck is moveable I wouldn't think it is anything serious. My friend had a similar lump recently and had the blood tests and nothing was found and slowly it went down on its own. Doctor said she probably had a virus of some sort and there are plenty going around at the moment.
    I am sure everything will turn out okay

Thank you for saying so, Frankie.

It doesn't help that I was prodding and poking at my throat like an idiot a few days back and nI suspect that's why my neck now hurts. I also do believe I'm getting a sore throat (it IS the season for bugs and I've felt this coming on for weeks) and of course I convince myself these are connected to the lump.

Still WHATEVER is going on, if anything, I'm sure a blood test will pick up on it.

Well, I had the test done this morning. Turns out they weren't worried about the small lump in my neck at all, that's been classified as a cyst. The actual issue was with my Thyroid, which is, apparently, slightly enlarged.

This does not, she said, in any way mean it will be cancerous. Yes it's a possibility but in my age group and current health the odds are pretty damn low. It could just be some kind of infection, or at extremes thyroid disease conditions are manageable.

Frankly, so long as it isn't the dreaded C word and is something I can control, I don't especially mind what it is.

Thread Information