Thread: Going no-poo?

Going no-poo?

I did a search first but all that came up was a couple of threads about bodily functions

This isn't about that. Recently I bought a new shampoo - it was quite expensive, but full of natural ingredients and had great reviews online so I felt confident buying it, and was eager to try it out. Ironically, the first time I tried it was the day of my work's Christmas party, lol. Anyway, from the very first wash my hair looked coated in grease after I'd dried it. And yeah, there I was at my work's Christmas party, miss greasylocks. Not too bothered about that, however, I thought it was just a one off, so used it again next day (I'm an every day shampooer). And again and again my hair looked like an oil slick. You can imagine how this affected me at work, I'm anxious and paranoid anyway and now I had to worry that people were talking about my greasy hair!! I was really conscious of it. I had a look online and it turns out that the shampoo has no SLS in it, unlike the others I'd been using. They were touted as 'natural' but they had SLS in them, so weren't really. I read that there can be a transition period when switching over, varying from a week to a month.

After a bit of discussion with a friend and more googling, I decided to try a bicarb and apple cyder vinegar rinse to see if that had helped. I'd considered rinsing with vinegar before, years ago but never got round to trying it. Anyway, yesterday I washed with diluted bicarb first, and then applied (put appled there, heh) the apple cyder vinegar (also diluted in water). And what a difference! To the texture anyway, it felt so soft and healthy. Usually my hair feels softish, after washing but not completely 'right' and it often feels over-dried. This was quite amazing, although unfortunately it still had a bit of a greasy appearance, although not as prominent as before.

Anyway, I'd usually have washed it again tonight (as I said, I shampoo daily because it gets greasy after a day) but decided to just wash it in warm water instead! And see how it goes. It doesn't look too greasy, and it feels very soft still. So I'll see how it goes and maybe do another bicarb/acv wash later on in the week. I'd like to try and keep the regime up, if my hair's going to feel this good! Just need for it to look good too, but I think it's getting there.

Anyone else abandoned shampoo?

Re: Going no-poo?

I wash my hair every day but my hairdresser said I shouldn't. She said use shampoo and conditioner one day then just water the next.

I didn't quite understand your thread title though??

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I tried one of those "cleansing conditioners" instead of shampoo and my hair got really greasy after a while ... so I switched to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner and my hair looks better than ever now.

No-poo = no shampoo

Thread Information