Thread: Heart/Chest worries, and a lonnnnnnng wait for the doctor

Heart/Chest worries, and a lonnnnnnng wait for the doctor

Hello peeps, sorry to whip a dead horse, but since I have an ongoing problem, I feel I should vent it further until I can get "official" peace of mind from my local GP. They're queued back until next week (and that was booked 3 weeks ago!) so you can imagine I'm a bit worried about my health worsening in that long waiting time..!

For the last week I've had some concerns about my chest. About a month and a half ago I gave up weightlifting (a beginner's programme) after suffering similar symptoms. However I may have jumped the gun too soon in trying to return to the gym, as the symptoms have come flooding back. I keep trying to tell myself it's all in the muscles, not the heart, but I also keep telling myself "don't be so naive... it's the heart for sure, you have a matter of hours to fix this or else you will die..!"

I feel like I get constant mini spasms across my chest, especially along the left side. There is sometimes pain, but luckily not too often, and it usually occurs near my armpits or switches to the right side or my back for some reason. My arms and hands feel numb - sometimes even heavy - and my front as a whole feels rather tight, to the point I notice my heartbeat more, and I keep putting my hands to my chest to make sure I'm ok. That last symptom is the only one I'm certain is down to anxiety; when all the others kick in, I begin to shiver and tremble uncontrollably, even in warm conditions.

The spasms are the scariest things; I've heard how heart valves e.t.c can get blocked or that heart attacks can occur, and no pain is ever noticed. An ECG 3 months back claims I'm ok, and a string of recent blood tests say I'm clear too. Furthermore my blood pressure is lower than average. I will say I've had a very stressful time recently in social terms, but I'm usually quite happy-go-lucky unless it's really bad... er, like recently..!

It should all say "muscle problem." I want it to be muscle problems, but what if the muscle is the heart? Has anyone else felt similar ways to myself, whether or not they believe they've been injured? Please help, I'm beginning to feel like I'm losing control, especially since some of my spasms have had me doubled-over and on my knees.

Re: Heart/Chest worries, and a lonnnnnnng wait for the doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Lightning View Post
    An ECG 3 months back claims I'm ok, and a string of recent blood tests say I'm clear too.
    Difficult, I know, when you're suffering from health anxiety, but I'd believe in those test results. If there was any cause for concern I'm sure it would have shown up. If it were me, I'd accept the results, but then my HA isn't quite as bad as it once was, so, as I said I understand how hard it is, but I'd say those sort of tests are pretty foolproof.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Actually come to think of it, I've had chest spasms (Fasciculations I believe they're called). Usually when I cough or laugh.

Told the Doc, guess what he diagnosed...

Yep, it's all anxiety for me
    Last edited by Mark13; 12-12-12 at 21:41. Reason: typos as always

I have exactly the same symptoms, only had blood tests and pressure taken though, the doctor says he will not give me an ECG at 17 considering my history of anxiety. Sometimes is feels like my heart beats really heavily or misses a beat, been going on for a while now though and nothing has happened so I am probably OK. If you are worried about a heart problem I find it helps to do vigorous exercise, not only does this calm you down, but reassures you that you would not be able to do that If you had a serious problem. Good Luck

Thank you for the advice; I had a go at some swimming - it's the best exercise I can do XD Sadly, I'm afraid I've ended up aggrivating my symptoms further, which means I now have a pair of numb hands and feet and a feeling of fatigue. I remember all these are symptoms of anxiety, but honest and truly, 5 days can't pass fast enough - noticing these symptoms always raises my heart rate randomly. :(

Sorry to double post! I've got some good and bad news. The good news is I managed to see a "drop in" doctor today, who gave me a thorough check-up (blood pressure, pulses family histories, skeleton/muscle checks e.t.c.) and booked me in for an ECG. The bad news - and I find this embarassing! - is that I'm still suffering from a tight chest, dizziness and numbness from anxiety. She ruled out any heart problems but I don't have a definitive name for exactly what is wrong with me.

I still have soreness/pain/weirdness in my chest, especially on the left, and the more I think about it the more anxious I become. Earlier while I was working I went into hyperventilation out of the blue. How horrible that I would be given peace of mind, but still worry about this. Hopefully the REAL doctor appointment on tuesday will end this pain.

Hi

Im having the exact same problem right now, hense why im here lurking again trying to calm myself down....
    The last few days i have had rreally bad and regular what i think is chest/heart pain....Im not sure if its musular or not...everytime i go to the doctors about this they say 'oh anxiety' never offered me tests etc....
    The pain for me is moving pain, sometimes its around my shoulder armpit (left side) i did something to my arm the other day and had a very painful spot for a while...not sure if its related.
    Today the pain has been in my back, left chest, right side awful..i just went to tescos and i honestly thought i was being warned that i was going to have a heart attack.
    Gonna leave it a day or 2 then go back to doctor....

xxx

Thread Information