Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change in periods? Perimenopause? Health Anxiety?

Change in periods? Perimenopause? Health Anxiety?

Hi, I am nearly 43 and in the last two months have started CBT, which is great but has also increased my awareness of my anxious thoughts. She said this was normal as I am learning to challenge them. I tend to get health anxiety when really stressed about other things, I kind of fixate, a need to solve, to know and to be reassured I think.

Anyway, I practically brought myself up and didnt have a mum around to really ask things of and cant talk to my sister, so with regard to female issues, I have often got myself in a pickle and felt like a small girl who is just convinced I havent looked after myself or noticed something. So I thought I would write here for some responses.

In this moment, I am sure that what is happening is natural, a change in my periods for the last two cycles. Over the past year or so the time between cycles has reduced by a couple of days to 25/26 but is regular. The last two cycles though have been really light, usually I can guarantee the flow is light one day(maybe some light brown), moderate/heavy for a couple of days, tapering off for a couple more days, spotting(sometimes browny) for one day and then gone. So about 5/6 days total.

The pattern the last two months has been a day of light brown/pink spotting, moderate/heavy flow for a day maybe nearly 2 and then it stops for maybe 12 hours, followed by very light flow/spotting for a couple more days. There are also no clots and the blood is brighter and more fluid (sorry if TMI).

In the past I have had ovarian cysts which burst, without too much drama (in my 20's and maybe 7 years ago) I had a smear test and a swab last year which were fine, I have a cervial polyp which was found then which doctor said was fine to leave (I was too anxious to have it removed and it was showing no symptoms). I freaked out about the connection to previous cysts etc and was it something awful and she said no, no no, your are NORMAL!

I dont think its the polyp, she said this might cause heavier bleeding or inbetween cycle bleeding if it was to show symptoms. I have also noticed I just dont feel like my period is on its way, no bloating, water retention the day it starts or any heavy feeling or a sensation of ovulation (sometimes used to get slight pinching mid cylce).

All in all I do feel better in myself, over the last year I have been under a lot of stress and working to support my adrenals because I was feeling so tired. So on one hand I think this period might in fact be better e.g lighter and no clots, but its new to me and that in itself is what is freaking me out.

I dont really want to go to the doctor as I suspect she will say watch it and see, sounds ok, maybe your age. It is also part of the CBT to try discerning rationally whether I need to act or not and not to just jump to safety behaviour (Which is probably what writing here is!)

Even though its not normal to me, does this sound like an un-usually light period (length and flow) or a regular period for some. I am pretty sure the signs to really watch for to visit GP are heavy bleeding, the cycles were different in length, mid cycle bleeding, discharge or smell, that continue for a while. I am driving myself crazing imagining this change is really bad and wrong!

Any advise on managing the anxiety of periods changing? Whether anyone at this age has had a change in their periods after years of being the same? I just hate this anxiety as I can tell its more the anxiety than the real symptoms of anything terrible because at this point I am pretty sure I would still feel anxious even if the GP said all was well.

Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated - even my best friend advised her periods went awol about my age and settled again, could be stress or just fluctuating hormones. I still didnt feel reassured! She isnt aware of this flare up in health anxiety. Wish my mum was around and I am 42!!

Thanks for reading

Re: Change in periods? Perimenopause? Health Anxiety?

periods can become irregular with anxiety and also perimenopause but I would say it is best to mention it to your doctor as he/she is the only one who can really reassure you.

Ok - thanks, I didn't know that this kind of change could be caused by anxiety. It hasnt happened before, well it might have, I think I am noticing everything right now!

I just started going through the menopause a few years ago (I'm 54) and my periods had always been regular until then, then they went all over the place, sometimes light sometimes heavy sometimes lasting for 3 weeks. I would discuss it with your doctor though x

Might try changing doctors, the last couple of times I have visited she has been none too sympathetic about the health anxiety and I come out none the wiser as to what to look for or not. I guess they see people every day and know what is normal and not normal and she tends to think I want to find something wrong - when usually I am trying to empower myself to understand what is going on for me.

There is so much information on the internet about periods, menopause, its confusing and it does seem that every woman is different!

I had polyps in my uterus and they caused really heavy bleeding so I had them removed.

Update - I got myself in such a state today about whether I needed to do anything or not, whether there was something wrong or not that I called the out of hours GP (haven't done this in years)

Thankfully he was great and talked me through everything and related it to anxiety. He gave me rational explanations:

The cervical polyp is very common, it could be bleeding slightly but if it hasn't so far already it is unlikely anything has changed with it. My smear test was normal and so unlikely there are any concerns for cancer, very unlikely. Best to have the polyp removed to remove the possibility of worry overtaking again. I felt re-assured but then when he said go on Monday, they might do a smear test and arrange for removal, I worred again, but I KNOW he was saying it all to stop the anxiety rather than anything to worry about. I did say is it serious and emergency, he said DO NOT WORRY.

He thought the slight changes in my periods were common too and related to menopausal changes, that things may revert to the usual pattern or they might not, nothing of note, only the very beginning of changes.

He finished by giving me tips on a relaxation method to go try straight away. To go to my GP, they may have another look at the polyp but a simple removal will take away the worry.

Now, I am very worried about having this procedure and the wait to see by the very smallest chance there is something wrong, he did tell me that if the smear was OK this was very very unlikely. I guess it's like having moles removed (I had this done once) there is always a slim chance, they send any growth away for tests.

I hope this whole process for me helps someone else rationalise things, when they have trouble doing so!

The procedure to have the polyps removed is quite simple. I have had some removed twice now and would not worry about it again if I had to have it done and believe me I usually worry about the simplest of things. They usually do a biopsy at the same time just to rule out anything else but I am sure you will be fine. x

Thanks, yes he said they send it away. Did you have cervical polyps? When I asked previously about the procedure they said it was simple but tonight my mind is seeing it that "only I" would have a bad experience and a dodgy result but rationally thats not likely and even if it is, I will survive. He kept telling me if it was anything cancer related it was unlikely, the smears are OK and no untoward symptoms - my mind just wont let go of the worry yet!

Thanks for your reassurance. One more question, if it was cervical polyps, was it a local anaesthetic - I really hate medical procedures!

I had polyps higher up in my uterus so I had general anesthetic. 2 of my friends had cervical polyps and they just had local anesthetic but they said it was fine and they went back to work the next day. Cervical polyps are almost always benign so I don't think you have anything to worry about especially as your smears were fine. It is a very simple procedure, over in minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information