Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music And Your Anxiety

Music And Your Anxiety

How does music help your anxiety? With me, it helps me to relax and calms me down

Re: Music And Your Anxiety

Hi Steve,

Oh I love music, it really is such a good therapy if you suffer with anxiety.

I listen to music much more that I watch TV......too much distressing stuff on TV nowadays, so I much prefer my music.

I like all sorts of music too, but at the moment I'm enjoying listening to the 70's stuff as it reminds me of my teenage years

Yes I definitely find that music helps. I make playlists of my favourite songs and this helps to cheer me up.

Hi Steve I find if I put music that I absolutely love on, it does distract me from panic thoughts!

With auntie moosie on the 70's music - amazing musical times.
    Although I wasn't born till 80's! Loving Patrice rushen, the police, sister sledge, queen! The ojs- backstabbers & used to be my girl. Are you man enough. Then there's abba, beegees & mj stuff.

Sorry 4 going on but, Loving it - my favorite x

some music is bad for my anx/dep,, meatloaf is the main offender.... makes me sad. thats just me , music=memories

Music really helps me, like the uplifting stuff mostly, pop, disco, funk and more a singles than an albums kind of girl!

But yes Wazza I know what you mean sometimes if I unexpectedly hear a childhood song, its as if I am in trance for a mo with all the old memories, usually bad that pop up.

Then again sometimes its good memories from when I used to go out loads around 10 years ago! Hey ho its a see saw.

Col oh I love all those groups and singers you mentioned

The 70's was a great time for music, I find it uplifting and cheerful, you kind of can't help bopping along to it can you

I also love the 80's too as that was when my children were both born, so that era always brings me many happy memories too

I do understand what the others are saying about some of it being a trigger too, it all depends on what mood I'm in as to what I'll listen too

Yes I know what you mean about bad memories being sparked by music ,also.

Luckily the songs that do this for me tend to be songs that I don't like anyway.

Whoes that chick - by Rhianna, yep I know awful awful but, when I started having panic attacks 2 years ago in Feb that song was everywhere! My then 8 year old & 20 month old son, used to bop along to it, whilst I sat going mad with panic, so it makes me think of how bad I was.

Xxxxxxxxx

Wow, I seem to be in the minority.

Music really irritates me, even it's it's music I choose myself (i.e. not radio).

I find it's all just noise and therefore winds me up.

When anxious I seek out peace and quiet.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love music, I just have to be relaxed before being able to enjoy it, so I listen to about 2 hours of music a month at the moment (no exaggeration).

Hi Steve, great thread!
    I firmly believe in the power of music.....even songs I hear on the radio from 1980 can take me back to my first disco, but I cant remember what I had for dinner yesterday haha!
    Im an ex-neuro nurse, and I know how powerful your brain is, like a super computer, and its capacity for learning and remembering is better than the latest ipod will ever be.

Ive got a good tip for those like me who suffer anxiety, panic, or just just those nasty sensations every now and then.

Choose 10 of your favourite but calming songs and download, or like me, get the son to do it.
    Listen to them when you are CALM and dont have any sensations and you feel good. While listening, repeat in your head " I am loved, I am safe....."

The next time you feel anx and panic creep up, put the music on.
    Your brain has already made a very strong connection to the music and feelings of calm. Again, say to yourself "I am loved, I am safe..."

It can really help you get on top of those sensations x

This works with smell too

LOve to all, Paula x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information