Thread: New to Fluoxitine

New to Fluoxitine

Just been prescribed Fluoxitine 20mg after 3 years of being on 20mg of citalipram. Citalipram was not working and after a bereavement in the family I was crying every day often with no real reason other than feeling helpless, I was also not sleeping and having panic attacks. Having read a few of the posts I am quite scared about the next few weeks..........someone please reassure me that I wont feel any worse than I have done for the past few months??

Hi Betty123

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: New to Fluoxitine

Hi Betty,
    Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Hi Betty and welcome to the forum.

We all react differently to drugs, I didn't feel particularly bad on fluoxetine, I came of it because of one specific side effect.

Sometimes reading other people's experiences of a drug can be counter-productive. Best to see for yourself, but if you feel really bad I'm sure your GP will offer alternatives.

Hi Betty welcome to NMP. I'm on week 7 of fluoxetine now and feeling quite good. Weeks 2-3 weren't great but to be honest I expected them to be worse than they actually were so as Mark says try not to pre empt what you will be like. Just stick with it and give it a good 6-10 weeks to properly kick in though as its not a quick acter

hi there - im have been on fluoxetine for 2 months now and the first few weeks were tough but feel so much better now. Make sure you ask your doctor for sleeping tablets or try phenergan which are over the counter and also diazepam in case you get bad side effects. Also drink lots of water and eat before you take tablet - banana or biscuit or something... also just to be aware I had been on a multivatimin for a few months prior pharmaton and it turns out that pharmaton enhances the side effects of fluoxetine so that is maybe why my side effects were bad.... you really need to be strong with your doc and say I need something else to help me through the side effects if you get them - lots of people dont and I feel so much better now.... in total it took about 6 weeks (and I work full time so was hard going) but the 6 weeks could have been down to the vitamins still being in my system etc...
    best of luck and keep the faith - it works trust me xo Im so much calmer now xo

First few weeks were not easy for me but everyone reacts differently, like Arnie and Cleo say you have to give it a good six week but it is so worth it as I feel like I am me again. If you do have side effects there is plenty of help and support on here from people who have got through the side effects or support from those still going through it.

Not being able to eat is one of the worst ones just try and make yourself eat a little something every two hours not always easy but does help.

xx

Thread Information