Thread: The Power Of Advertising

The Power Of Advertising

Hey folk,

I don't know about you - but is anyone else getting really sick and tired of seeing all of these cancer adverts?!

Research needs to be done into these type of adverts before they're blasted all over our TV screens, without warning, when we could be trying to rest.

They are broadcast to scare people - what about all of us who are already scared? Don't they realize what they are doing?

These broadcasters clearly do not realise that health anxiety is A REAL ILLNESS - and all of these anti smoking, breast cancer awareness, cancer research etc adverts, with the tumours and the crying families are detrimental to people like us and can cause us physical pain.

Every time one comes on I have to quickly switch over before my brain has time to process and send me into a frenzy - which if I dont find the remote quick enough, thats it my nights ruined.

Any one else feel the same???

Re: The Power Of Advertising

yep i really do feel the same i hate it especially the ones that list symptoms ive just recently seen the ovarian cancer one i just dont get why they dont spare a thaught for people with anxiety , i always seem to turn over just as the advert comes on or if im out when i decide to pay attention to a poster its a cancer one ,the other day i was in books and i looked up at the leaflets and the first one i saw was one on mouth cancer which has been my main fear for 4 years :(

Hi

Here as another post about it:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=115246

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Its getting to the point where any magazine you read there is at least one mention of cancer in. I read marie claire and glamour this month and two stories of people who had cancer! i read magazines for relaxation not to be continually reminded!

Hey I hate this too. They stick in your head forever! Which is obviously the idea of advertising but for us HA sufferers it isn't good!

The dreaded one where the man is walking through the hospital corridor and he slowly falls over and people come over to lend im support... I shudder thinking about it. And the music...! It just adds to the fear!

They are everywhere, and I agree you cant read a magazine without a dreaded advert or story about a cancer sufferer. The worst thing is I still find myself reading it even though I know how scared I get and can stright away feel my heart pounding.

They do seem to have started advertising OC a lot which is good dont get me wrong but when ones biggest fear is OC its very hard for me not to panic. I was walking through Sainsburys and there was a lady collecting for the charity and handing out leaflets, I felt so bad but had to ignore her.

We should all get together and campaign for HA to be advertised!Lol.

x

Thread Information