Thread: Fluoxetine increase from 20mg to 40mg

Lightbulb Fluoxetine increase from 20mg to 40mg

I just increase fluoxetine from 20 mg to 40mg. I was on 20mg for 7 weeks. I just wonder if you went through medication increase and how you felt. Is this change anything? What about side effects? I am a little bit stressed about it and would love to hear about your experience. Thanks a lot

Re: Fluoxetine increase from 20mg to 40mg

Hi Princess I am also on 40mg and have been for 10 days. Had a great week last week out and about but last 2 days feel like shit so back at home again. Dont know if they are more side effects or as I am due on my period and always feel bad and down. I do have a psych appointment tomorrow so hope they can help. 20 to 40 is a big jump and it will take time to get in your system but shouldnt be as bad as the first weeks. Hope this helps x

Thank you Penguin. You probably suffer mix of both. I feel much worse before my period too. I hope side effects are not going to be too bad as I suffered a lot in my first few weeks. How many days you took 20mg before 40mg? xxx

Hi penguin and princess. How are you feeling? It's been almost 3 weeks since I increased to 30. Not the same as you guys. For me I felt the worst last week. I think my side effects kick in after a week or more when the medication is in my system more. But you may not get any princess. You already have it in your system so the worst is over I think.

Unhappy Re: Fluoxetine increase from 20mg to 40mg

Hi,
    it's my first time on here but have been reading every day for 28 days. I'm so desperately worried about my mum. 20 years ago after serious depression and OCD she took an overdose but survived and ended up in mental health hospitals. After various mess that didn't work she was prescribed fluoxitine 40mg then down to 20mg after a year. or the last 20 years she's been truly amazing, strong, positive and happy. She recently told me she came off fluoxitine 5 months ago because she read that it puts weight on you. She has been back on fluoxitine 28 days now. (1st week 20mg, 2nd week 40mg,3rdweek 20mg and the last week 40mg) She has not left the bed apart from for eating when she feels. her side effects have been awful but I Kept thinking it worked before surely it will work again. she is suicidal and has been on and off suicidal and extremely OCD and depressed over the last 4 weeks. I can't remember 20 years ago if this happened because it was constantly the way because the meds didn't work. I'm scared to change the meds. Does anyone know whether fluoxitine can work again? It's so heartbreaking to see her like this.

Terri,
    I really feel for you, your Mum is so lucky to have you.
    Re; fluox working a second time round from what ive read on here its hit n miss im afraid...some people it works for others it doesnt.
    Do you have support or outside help? Maybe you need to call your GP or psych team if your Mum is under one. Im guessing you have been reading the threads on here and its quites obvious from the posts that fluox isnt a miracle cure that works quickly.
    Personally i think you need to seek medical advice, take care x x

Thread Information