Thread: Getting nowhere slowly...

Getting nowhere slowly...

Finally got to see my Psychiatrist today, after 2 cancelled appointments.

I have a swallowing disorder, had it since March/April last year.

My doctor has diagnosed me with Dysphagia, whereas the Psychs have diagnosed something called Globus pharyngeus.

Globus ..... isnt what I have, it has different symptoms, so no idea where they have gotten this from, but I didnt even have the energy to argue the toss today because I am just so fed up and cant even be bothered to correct them, they are experts afterall, so they know best.

Discussed medication. Quetiapine has stopped, because its done nothing to help, doesnt want to prescribe Diazepam, which I understand. I have a few left here but im not even going to bother taking them anymore.

Without medication, I cannot drink or eat, well, I can probably get some water down, but food is a no no, it brings anxiety and panic when I have food in my mouth because I think I am going to choke.

So, I have gotten nowhere with my doctor, who referred me to the mental health team, and it seems I am getting nowhere with the mental health team, so where do I go from here?

If I dont eat or drink I will end up in hospital, and the fact is, I am not going to be able to eat or drink, yet none of them seem to care.

Is it best just to collapse, be taken into hospital by ambulance, and then hope someone takes some notice there?

The Psych today has referred me to Physiotherapy, I have no recent sports injuries so not sure how this is actually going to help, Im pretty sure after some research that they cannot sort my problem out.

I feel like laughing loudly, because I am basically being left to my own devices, and it seems crazier than they think I am

So, where do I go from here???

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza123; 29-01-13 at 20:26.

Re: Getting nowhere slowly...

A physiotherapist can help with dysphagia by suggesting appropriate exercises which can improve the capacity to swallow and also in some cases helps to resolve the problem of dysphagia.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

If you are unable to eat anything at all in the mean time though, I think you will have to go back to your doctor and tell them as you will have to have something to relax you enough to be able to eat.

Really Annie? That's surprised me. Just a shame my appointment is in 4 weeks then.

I am getting seriously fed up now, I don't understand how it's so difficult to get help, it's been going on 10 months, lost 2.5 stone in less than 3 months, can't afford to lose any more.

So between my doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, physiotherapist, speech therapist and the ENT at the local hospital which will include an endoscopy, maybe there is a chance I may get better at some point eh?

I really hope so Dazza it is just so infuriating though having to wait for all the appointments.

Oh, and I bet after seeing all these people I'll still fail Friday Annie lol

Dazza Friday is even more of a nightmare for me now! I have the ATOS assessment on the morning and I have to go to work in the afternoon to discuss my phased return which will start on 11th Feb :( I had a letter today from our local MP and she sent me a copy of the speech she gave in parliament about ATOS after reading some of the examples she gave, I know I stand no chance of getting anywhere with them so I just hope my phased return goes ok and I can manage to work again.

Just remember, there is reconsideration first which takes a while, and then the appeal which takes longer,so that should buy you some time, by then you might be back at work and getting on ok, but the main thing is it gives you time and breathing space.

I am thinking of other options if my phased return doesn't work out, there are less stressful positions that I could take in similar work. I am trying to think "what will be will be". I also have the support of my MP now

Support from anyone is always good, fingers crossed it goes ok. Im not worried about mine now. I have 2 letters of support from Doctor and Psychiatrist, and Im also under the care of a Psychologist, Speech therapist, Physiotherapist and ENT at the hospital, so they can throw what they want at me, I have more than enough proof to show there is a real problem, and Im going to record the assessment on my phone so if they tell lies, which they are quite prone to I will have proof of what was said.

Thread Information