Thread: Lung cancer or pulmonary embolism?

Lung cancer or pulmonary embolism?

Hi Im feeling bad at the mo.

Had really bad chest pains yesterday all round my right breast and downwards, and in my back. It is better today but its worrying cos its worse when I bend forwards, or take a deep breath, but it goes if I lay flat on my back?? Really scared its one of the above.
    Also, been getting pains in my joints - knees, wrists, fingers- which came on suddenly the day before the chest pains started.
    Went to the doctor today, but I don't think he takes me seriously, which just makes me feel more panicky.

I can feel my anxiety getting worse as the days and weeks go on, getting more and more scared of getting ill - seriously ill.

Over the weekend I just kept thinking 'Id rather be dead than feel like this any more'.

Hi there im feeling bad too at the minute...i have chest tightness most days, and its getting me down now...like you i feel better when laid down...which probably indicates it is muscular...it is so hard feeling this way.. you are not alone...
    anxiety gives us alsorts of aches and pains...we just dont believe it is just anxiety as the symptoms are just so horrid
    im off to docs on thursday...but no doubt will be a waste of time...he will just want to stick me on anti dep (which i want to avoid)...but then somedays i get to the point where i say maybe i should try them, as i cant go on
    No doubt we do go on though, and we will get through it
    take care and good luckx

Hi Carly,

You sound like me do you think we light be related lol. I think it would be easier to say what parts of my body dont ache..........cant think of any.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Hey carly!

I too had pains like this for ages. I kept going back to the doctors and got no decent response.

First things first. All the research i have done has shown me that chest pain is rarely a sign of lung cancer. There are no pain nerves etc in the lungs so lets put that one on hold.

Any form of stress or anxiety can lead to chest pain. I tend to get mine on my left hand side. Its normally a dull ache which also hurts my mid to lower back.

We have muscles inbetween our ribs called intercostals. These muscles expand the rib cage when we breathe. If we are stressed the body releases cortisol and adrenaline which tires the muscles. Now add to that the shallow breathing we do when nervous, our poor muscles get knackered and start to ache.

Obviously im only talking from my experience and you need to find a doctor who takes you seriously.

Here in the UK when it happened, i phoned my local emergency doctor and they took me in to A&E straight away with a feared heart attack. I had ECG's chest x-rays and blood test oh yeh, and an ultrasound. I was given a clean bill of health (which felt great) yet still i had the chest aches.

I've now been suffering with these aches for approximatly 3 years and im not dead yet so i guess i can rule out the serious stuff.

Just remember, when we gwet stressed, we release adrenaline. This prepares your muscles in a fight and flight situation. The longer we are stressed the longer your muscles are kept tense. After a while they will start to ache. This in turn stresses us out which leads us in to a catch 22 situation.

I found taking a bath really helps or even better is to go and do some exercise. Plus most important of all is to get a decent amount of sleep.

I hope this helps. Your not alone and im sure loads of other people on here get the same problems

Take care

Nick

Thanks guys
    Mandy- I don't think we're related lol! but some comfort to know you feel the same.
    Nick- thanks for the info it has helped and I hope you are right.

Still feel really worried cos this stuff comes on so suddenly, I've had to go get more Diazepam today so at least I feel a bit more chilled, but obviously I don't want to rely on it as the feelings are still there lurking underneath ready to resurface.

Anyway, thankyou for your replies. xx

nick sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
    recently i myself noticed a chest pain on the right side that comes and goes mysteriously maybe after straining/sitting/laughing (of course the laugh doesn't last long) except when i lie down etc. i am convinced it's those intercostals!
    aside from the adrenaline thing, stress tends to make us breath more shallowly, depleting muscles (and the rest of the body) of oxygen while trapping toxins that want to be breathed out. i'm sure this is a reason for a lot of the talk of aches/pains/pins/needles around here.
    what helps me is NOT taking really deep breaths -- taking in more air gives the body more potential toxins -- but i feel better almost immediately when i take very long/heavy exhales [:O] ok? i wonder if this works for other people here.

Thread Information