Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Side effects after citalopram

Re: Side effects after citalopram

I have posted this elsewhere but its probably more appropriate here...

I tapered my dose down over about 6 weeks to come off - GP approved - I was feeling fine! For about a week to 10 days, no change then last week I got some very strange things happening, slight anxiety, spacey head, eye 'floaters' and some real serotonin-y and dark brain activity, its eased a bit as the weeks gone on but it really took me by surprise, it may be withdrawal but obviously there's the fear of going back to square one. I rang my GP who said I could go back on a low dose again for a few weeks or ride it out...great

Any ideas?? Does this sound familiar? I am in uncharted territory...
    Please feel free to PM me so I get a notification

Thumbs up Re: Side effects after citalopram

hello Bob,
    I can say you describe what I have been through over the past two years.
    Through both choice, (wanting to ween myself off) and forced, no money for the prescription, I have had some rather nasty withdrawal symptoms.
    They included sleeplessness, sweats both in my sleep and at work, nausea, and the worst, what I call 'loose brain feeling'. My head spins and my brain feels like it moves on its own accord. Not nice.
    These symptoms pass soon after I resume the tablets.
    When weening off them I started with one every other day. Then after two weeks, one every third day for another two weeks. Eventually I was on one tablet every ten days. All good so far.
    However I could not get away from the 'loose brain' feelings if I went beyond ten days.
    Regrettably after another trauma I am back on 20mg daily. I feel fine but really cant get to grips with ongoing aches and pains. Muscles and bones ache, especially when getting out of bed.Also, the sweats returned but are decreasing.
    I am looking at trying again to reduce the dosage. But this time I am adding exercise, weight loss and diet change.
    We will see what happens.
    best wishes, Graham

Hi,

Just a quick question, my husband has now been on 20mg of Citalopram for 6 weeks and i can honestly say he is no better with his anxiety. Should he have his dose increased or another medication do you think? He is describing his life as a living hell i'm not sure what to do to help him.

He needs to speak to his Dr by the sound of it .Higher doses are usually needed for acute anxiety ,im on 40mg ..I increased by 10mg at a time .The side effects arent bad doing it that way .It does get better ,it sometimes takes a while to get the right dose thats all .Hope he feels better soon ..Luv Sue x

I am on my fourth day of taking these for the first time and even though my gp said i wouldn't experience any side effects i feel alot more paniced and stressed than before and feel sick all the time. Does anyone know how long they should take to kick in and will these effects stop when they do ?
    x

Sorry you arent feeling too good Your side effects are normal and will last 2-3 weeks then you will gradually start to feel better ,Your dose will stabilise between 4-6 weeks .If you do not feel they are doing much you will then have your dose increased ,this again will take 4-6 weeks to kick in ,but you wont feel as bad as now ...It is worth sticking it out ,treat it like you have got a virus or something .Hope you feel better soon .All the best Sue x

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information