Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my Diazepam use OK?

Is my Diazepam use OK?

Just wanted to check with you guys if my diazepam usage is OK and not going to cause too many problems in later weeks.

I won't bore people with my story again but here is my recent post about my current situation - http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128264

Been prescribed 20mg Citalopram and 5mg and 2mg Diazepam.

Took 10mg Cit for a month and just recently upped it to 20mg. I've basically had a massive mental breakdown and developed severe agoraphobia. I've avoided taking Diazepam as I was scared to take it but since Monday, I haven't been able to take anxiety anymore so to help me get through the days I've started taking Diazepam.
    Been crudely cutting my diazapams in half to take 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening. Been taking them before I'm having a panic attack as a precauionary measure to take the edge off my constant anxiety which I'm getting throughout the day.

Is this OK? How long will it take before I feel I need to take one purely because I know I only got through the day before by taking one?

I don't want to become reliant on them but I seriously need some rest from the terrible month and a half I've had!

Re: Is my Diazepam use OK?

I think that is ok. I too was given diazepam in 2 mg tablets when I started escitalopram. I use them as needed to sleep. If I am feeling anxiety before bed I will take one and in an hour I will feel better. I think at that low of a dose - 2 mg or 1 mg, as you are taking them, you don't need to worry.

Its ok to take a low dose 2mg for short term use. I used them too in my first month of Citalopram.

I take 6mg every now and then when I feel awful. I don't need it or rely on it. 2mg is an extremely low dose.

I too have 2mg, and take it when I'm anxious and feel it's not going down.was given dose of 3x2mg day from doc by only done this occasionally. So 1mg is hardly anything and may not be taking the edge of you really need. You will be fine on 2mg even twice day it will really help you in the beginning.

Have you gone to Cornwall with your dad?

Hi Stevo. I was given 2 x 5 mgs a day for 2 wks to help with side effects of Prozac and was told by my psych to take them even if I didn't feel anxious. Feel al to more positive now

Hi guys.

Yeah my dad drove me down here last night. I was very scared about the 4 hour car drive so I dosed myself up on 6mg diazapam. Felt very sleep for most of the journey and barely remember it to be honest because I didn't take my eyes of my laptop screen.

The agoraphobia is really starting to get to me now. Because of that I feel trapped in the house and that is making me more anxious. The citalopram dose has changed from 20mg to 30mg and I've just started on Pregabalin which is making me feel like im about 5 foot above Neptune.

This is the first day I haven't taken Diazapam in just over a week although I do feel rather nervous.

I feel that diazapam is only masking my symptoms for a bit (which is what it's designed to do).

I don't think I'm ready to cope without it at the moment. The change from Cardiff to Cornwall is still having an effect though.

Sorry to ramble on about my problems!!

I believe a such a low dose you will be fine. You are under a doctors care and keep your line of communication open with him/her. I too do not want to rely on taking a pill to get through my day. My therapist advised me that its not a bad thing, some people have to take certain medications in life. As long as they are taking correctly and talk to your doctor. I say enjoy your positive step in becoming less anxious.

Be Safe and Well
    B

Hi Stevie

I know it's your home when you were younger, but do you feel comfortable there?
    As are home is are safe place and your dad was thinking he was doing the right thing for you.

Don't worry about the diazepam, take it when you feel it's too much for you to cope with!

We you scared of being on your own(I presume you live in your own place) that's why you went home. There nothing wrong with this we all feel safe with somebody there they don't have to be in the same room or talking to us just the reassurances there,there.

Try taking tiny steps say just going to the back door, then down the garden.
    Hope your feeling slightly better. Xx

I live with housemates in Cardiff. 2 good friends.

I seem to be the opposite to most people in here. I prefer being on my own. When the house is empty I am at my best. When it's full of people I panic.

Infact I literally just had a panic attack about 40 mins ago. Was sat quietly with my dad watching the TV and boom. Suddenly felt like I wasn't really there. Ran upstairs and gobbled up 5mg Diazapam. Took about 30 mins to kick in. No more panic.

But. My panic is also different. I don't get shortness of breath. I don't get tight chest, or fast heartbeat or shakey hands. It's extreme depersonalisation/derealisation and feelings of unreality. They suddenly strike and boom, I have to flee the situation.

This is the place I normally love most in the world. It's where I grew up, I love Cornwall as it's quiet and peaceful and I love being with my dad more than anyone in the world.

It seems I'm scared of people all of a sudden. I need to get to the root cause of this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information