Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: work colleagues reaction

work colleagues reaction

Only a couple of people at my workplace know that I have had anxiety and panic attacks.

If it got out, I would be mortified. One co worker commented on reading a newspaper article that these people are "pathetic weirdoes" and should get a grip.

Anyone else felt the same?

Hi

I have had nothing but support from my work collegues. From top management down. I would say that a third of my workplace have or are taking anti-depressents. My workplace also has councelling services. There also allowed me a lot of time off as well. In my previous job I kept my anxiety quiet, because of the same reaction that you are having. Where I am now i don't feel ashamed of how I might be feeling.

you mean their raction to having anxiety and not going out?

Hi wannabe,

I mean how workmates react when they find out that one of them suffers from panic attacks.

I'm male and I'm guessing that there is a stigma attached. Men should be strong, brave etc the old stereotypes

All the best to you

i dont belive men should be strong and brave! i like a man whos a wreck,brings out the nurse in me hehe!!!
    ok back to reality lol umm.... oh! im not saying youre a wreck! But back to your point, i dont work, but i have been criticised {cant spell!} for being agoraphobic by friends, family neighbours etc. Ive been called weird and a freak etc been told to pull myself together, whch is strange, cos i am pulled together, tightly!!! lol i need to unwind mostly!
    People can be narrow minded. i was the same, when my mum suffered i wasnt the nicest person when it came to understanding it all.
    She always looked fine and wallking down the street with her was a nightmare! why she wanna turn back? she says shes unwell yet looks fine and dandy to me!!
    Only when i truly knew what she FELT like, did i understand more clearly. if you dont suffer, you CLEARLY do NOT understand.
    Becci x

Whenever I have told people of my problems I have always had a positive reaction and you wouldent believe how many people suffer from anxiety until you talk to people about it.....just thought id share my views!!! kaz

I havent had much positives and really try to keep it to myself about what I am experiencing.

I work in a school and the last week of term there was a big assembly coming up which all staff and students had to attend as the old headmaster was leaving. Well I had been dreading this flippin assembly as it would be packed and I would have to stay for the duration.

I couldnt get a seat by the door sadly and when one of my bosses asked 2 of my colleagues if they would just mind moving down 1 seat as Im not good in crowds they replied 'well who does like being in a crowd?'. Im not expecting people to move mountains for me but if I couldve helped someone out like that just by doing that tiny thing I would have. There were also whispered comments after that that I feel sure were complaing about the fact theyd been asked. (Paranoia is not 1 of my symptoms lol - i really do think it was that)

I just feel really disappointed and a bit bitter to be honest that that happened.

i've told really close friends but when i tell people i know they very often tell me not to be so stupid and stop attention seeking.

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

hi,
    i tend to keep it to myself, as sometimes the way people look at you, they just dont understand, and that makes me feel like a wierdo, as if i am laughed at, if you know what i mean.
    yet my sister works in a docs surgery and one of the receptionists has p/a,s and one of the docs on ad,s. the nurse has depression and another doc has ocd. my sis is so understanding cos she works with people like us and it has taught her not to be so ignorant to it.
    julie

we are all stronger people after having this

Hi there.

I've had anxiety for 3 years. I work in a school and told my headteacher this week because I was feeling so bad and want to cut my hours a bit. Also wanted him to know in case I was bad.

He was lovely. Very understanding and sympathetic, and said he will help in any way he can. And keep him posted on how I'm feeling. Also told me I'm not the only one on the staff taking meds. Also told teacher I work with and a couple of close friends.

I have been very lucky because they've all been great. They don't all understand, but are supportive anyway. My husband is the star of them all, he is a confident person, but he does know that head stuff like this is not fake and not easily controllable. He supports me in any way he can!

My real problems with this started when I worked in a place which sounds like yours with some very negative people. The atmosphere there brought the anxiety on in the first place. So there's no way I'd have told any of them!

I am always reluctant to tell people in case I am judged. For example I haven't told my mum, because she would tell me to pull myself together. But I have chosen a few close ones who I really trust and luckily had a positive reaction. [8D]

Lisa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information