Hello.

Since Monday I have been ill with a nasty bout of tonsillitis. (bacterial). I have been taking penicillin since Thursday and my glands and tonsils have decreased in size. However, since yesterday, I've had a very terrible cough. I have coughing up A LOT of mucus, sometimes choking on it as I had so much.

Aside from this, every 30 seconds or so I get a sudden attacks of tightness in my throat which makes me catch my breath. This often follows with a gagging, desperate sounding cough in attempt to open my airways. Last Night I was in bed when I felt my airways closing, with a slightly wet feeling in my throat. HOWEVER, it is very hard to tell the difference between the two, and they both seem to bring about the other.

My natural instinct straight after these attacks is to take a sharp breath in through my mouth, which seems to worsen it. Vicious circle.

I find if I attempt to talk I last about 5 seconds and then feel my throat close and erupt into a coughing fit. I lost my voice for a few days due to the tonsillitis.

I'm worried that the infection somehow caused me to become asthmatic, or that my throat is so inflamed it's literally closing up on me. I am coughing literally every 5 seconds, and I feel like I am really going to damage my throat and voice by all violent coughing.

I also have a lot of mucus up my nose, possibly causing post-nasal drips.
Any thoughts? This is driving me quite insane. I don't know whether to suppress the urge to cough (which has been impossible) or carry on coughing trying to get all the mucus up.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

I now feel like there is stomach acid in my throat. I keep bringing up acidic liquid.