Thread: Twitching muscles

Twitching muscles

Hi

I have been suffering from anxiety for about 6 months now but lately have been feeling much better and able to cope with most things as normal except health problems. In May I started to have tingling/numbness in my arms and legs. Went to neurologist who said I was ok. I went back 3 months later and he said no sign of brain tumour or MS. As I was, and still am, experiencing muscle weakness I asked about motor neurone disease. He said you can never be 100% sure but I was showing no signs at that time and to come back only if I had new symptoms. In the last week I have developed muscle weakness and pain, mainly in my arms, calves and face/chin muscles but most worryingly my muscles have started to twitch, not so much that you can see it but I can feel it. I also keep waking up in the night with my hand or fingers completely numb. I went back to see my doctor yesterday who said that I must now have MRI and nerve conductions tests. He asked me what I was thinking was wrong (as I was crying my eyes out and making a complete fool of myself) and I said MND. And he didn't reply!! I haven't googled, nor do I intend to but my questions is does anyone else have muscles twiching in their arms, legs, face, stomach and back? and had anyone had an MRI scan for simililar things only to be told everything is ok (I know I'm cluching at straws here)Sorry for long post, am terrified!

Pen,

I've had muscle spasm/twitching for past 2 to 3 years. I also get numbness and tingling at times.

My muscles relax when I relax, and my numbness, associated by muscles tightening in wrist or lower palms only seems to happen soon after waking, and that's when my anxiety is worst too.

I have explained this to my GP who is more than aware of my anxiety and has not done any tests.

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Ray

Thanks for your reply. Hope you don't mind me asking but which of your muscles twitch?

Pen

Hey Pen,
    I can totally relate to your symptoms as i too was convinced i had MND. I still twitch all the time now and have numbness but honestly it is to do with anxiety. Don't google MND as my blood ran cold when i did but have a look at symptoms of anxiety as they are very similar to that of MND. I know the facial twitching can be a bit scary but it CANNOT do you any harm.

All the best
    Lisa

Lisa

Thanks for that Lisa

I definately won't be googling MND, I can't even watch Holby City these days or even read a health related article! I guess even though I feel that I have come a long way with my anxiety and to a large extent feel that I have overcome it, the fact that I still can't read about a condition without panicing shows I still have a way to go.

Pen

Hi Pen,

I have experienced this muscle twitching frequently over the past 7 years, and most of the time I can actually see the muscle twitching as well as feel it which is odd! As I said this has happened a lot over 7 years and I have got used to it and been told by my GP that this is common wih people that suffer anxiety and we spend most of our time being very tence/worked up. I know how easy is it to think the worst and once the thought is inside your head - thats it....your doomed as no one can tell you any different until you have had every test to rule this thought out of your head, I have been the same with my heart and still am. The doctor obviously knows you suffer with anxiety and as you have been to see him before regarding these symptoms the scans are simply the next thing he can offer to you ( routine) just as I have been to see a number of cardiologists and had almost every test done! and all have told me the same..I have nothing to worry about! I really hope that your symptoms are subsiding with the more reassurance you are getting? Also the more you are thinking and paying attention to your symptoms the worse they will get. Take care

Angie

Re: Twitching muscles

I agree with you about looking up something or watching something like Holby City, where people have diseses like cancer. I sometimes get twitches in my muscles, it could be any part of my body, arms, legs, eye lids. I found it a little worrying so I looked it up and most results are things like anxiety.

But I feel just the same about watching something on T.V or looking up something and you're scared of what the result could be, I have had panic attacks before because I was worried about diseses like cancer (silly I know) because of certain things.

From Louise

Hi

I at times wake up with numb hands, fingers, I generally assume that I have laid on them

I also get twitchy muscles. Again, this is associated with anxiety. Have had twitchy muscles for about 6 years.

I avoid Holby City now (used to love it)

Pleas try not to worry, you have seen a neurologist and Gp who have said you are fine.

What about help with dealing with the awfulness that is Health Anxiety? Is your GP understanding?

Love

Emira

I can and will get through this....

I've been looking for an answer to my question & can't find it. When I speak I have a muscle twitch under one eye (when I say words that begin with the letters, 'P', 'D', or 'M'...)
    Only one side does it...I went to the Dr.; he said that it was just my face. I know that it hasn't been there my entire life...and it is worrying me. I can't find a THING on any site about it! What is going on? Am I totally alone?

Thread Information