Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessing over past mistakes

Obsessing over past mistakes

Hi all,

I'm very low at the moment. I can't help but focus on mistakes I've made in the past. Even though I've tried to make amends I feel overwhelmingly guilty - it's all I can think about.
    I feel like everything bad that happens stems from past mistakes and that I will never be able to rid myself of these burdens.

Thanks for listening
    J x

Re: Obsessing over past mistakes

I can personally relate to what you are saying, have you thought about therapy to help you rationalize these feelings and negative thoughts you have, it could help you move forward.
    However guilty you may feel, you were given one life and should be able to live that to the fullest.

BobbyDog

Thanks BobbyDog. Yes I've seen a counsellor a couple of times and it is helping (I think). Unfortunately she's on holiday at the moment so I've got a long wait until my next appointment. Maybe that's why I'm struggling at this particular point.

Every day is a new day, free of the mistakes of the past.

Maybe you have to come to terms with the past, but that can be contained, separate from your day to day activity.

i feel exactly the same way , i feel the most unluckiest person on earth and if something is going to happen , it happen to me .....
    horrible feeling J , i know , ive just started counselling and havent seen my support worker for 2 weeks , im unsure what i want and expect from them , but dwelling on the past and thinking ,what goes around ,comes around ,smells of karma , who was i in a past life to deserve this crap put on me arghhhhh !! sorry ranting ....!!
    Get it off your chest J , it helps to have a message rage rant ....
    thinking of you / we get through this xx

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Every day is a new day, free of the mistakes of the past.

Maybe you have to come to terms with the past, but that can be contained, separate from your day to day activity.
    Thanks Hanshan - this is what I am desperately trying to do. Maybe it gets easier in time.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cazzy View Post
    i feel exactly the same way , i feel the most unluckiest person on earth and if something is going to happen , it happen to me .....
    horrible feeling J , i know , ive just started counselling and havent seen my support worker for 2 weeks , im unsure what i want and expect from them , but dwelling on the past and thinking ,what goes around ,comes around ,smells of karma , who was i in a past life to deserve this crap put on me arghhhhh !! sorry ranting ....!!
    Get it off your chest J , it helps to have a message rage rant ....
    thinking of you / we get through this xx

Thanks so much Cazzy. I just can't get excited/feel too happy about anything because I'm convinced it will go wrong. Does that sound crazy?
    I feel like I don't deserve good things.

Thinking of you too. Happy to chat anytime. J x

reading your post is like a mirror reflection of me ..
    I cant except anything thats going to become good ,stay good , i always look on the negative side . for example , i bought a cheap car ,thats reliable off its previous owner and hasnt does many miles like new , im happy about this car , then take it home , next morning im thinking , the rain last night ,ohh i hope it start .....then i jump in the car and it starts straight away and i go into another parked vehicle at the bottom of my street , it be my luck , then i think , i wasnt meant to have this car to start off with ,ive jinxed it.
    I should be believing whats meant to be is to be , its an accident and accidents do happen , but why me and should really laugh it off to say ,well TRUST!! haha ...
    hope ive made sense sorry ....
    I think the more negative things we think about the more depressing it becomes , nothing seems to go right as we thinking so negative and it beats us physically and emotionally we dont see no positivness and think more unhappy thoughts and what if"s...
    If we to think more positvley , things will be more intresting , we be happy about things ,happy about making mistakes as we be happy to get over them as we are be happy to deal with them as we more positive ...
    i really hope this has made sense sorry if waffled , but i think if we down everything will become miserable , but if we looking up on things in life we be happy and more able to cope and think ...xx

Quote Originally Posted by cazzy View Post
    reading your post is like a mirror reflection of me ..
    I cant except anything thats going to become good ,stay good , i always look on the negative side . for example , i bought a cheap car ,thats reliable off its previous owner and hasnt does many miles like new , im happy about this car , then take it home , next morning im thinking , the rain last night ,ohh i hope it start .....then i jump in the car and it starts straight away and i go into another parked vehicle at the bottom of my street , it be my luck , then i think , i wasnt meant to have this car to start off with ,ive jinxed it.
    I should be believing whats meant to be is to be , its an accident and accidents do happen , but why me and should really laugh it off to say ,well TRUST!! haha ...
    hope ive made sense sorry ....
    I think the more negative things we think about the more depressing it becomes , nothing seems to go right as we thinking so negative and it beats us physically and emotionally we dont see no positivness and think more unhappy thoughts and what if"s...
    If we to think more positvley , things will be more intresting , we be happy about things ,happy about making mistakes as we be happy to get over them as we are be happy to deal with them as we more positive ...
    i really hope this has made sense sorry if waffled , but i think if we down everything will become miserable , but if we looking up on things in life we be happy and more able to cope and think ...xx
    Cazzy I completely understand. You are so right that we need to think more positive to make things better (easier said than done right?!). I look at people who seem happy and carefree and I'm so envious - I wish that could be me.

Quote Originally Posted by jelly2010 View Post
    Thanks BobbyDog. Yes I've seen a counsellor a couple of times and it is helping (I think). Unfortunately she's on holiday at the moment so I've got a long wait until my next appointment. Maybe that's why I'm struggling at this particular point.
    We have to learn "acceptance" of ourselves. Memories, feelings, flash backs and generally giving ourselves a hard time would then be a thing of the past.

I am waiting for one to one counselling at the moment and not looking forward to facing my demon's - again.

I had a strict upbringing and rebelled as any sane person would do, but I have the values of my grandparents who brought me up.

Life is a beach................

BobbyDog

i feel like this just now, i keep saying to myself i made these mistakes so i must deal with the after math, but i can't deal with it :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information