Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really frightened

Really frightened

Have made an emergency appointment to see my GP in a bit about the lump in my breast. The bruise has gone but the lump is still there and I'm terrified. Feel sick and anxious.

Re: Really frightened

Good luck Apple

Thanks Coppernob - am still terrified! Keep thinking it's going to be something horrible.

I had some breast pain a few months back and got referred to the breast clinic. The referral was really quick, only 2 weeks - they see everyone within 2 weeks in my area. Everyone was very efficient and friendly at the clinic and I was checked out and all was fine.

They said almost everyone who gets referred turns out to be fine, so try not to worry. There are many 'innocent' reasons for bumps and lumps which turn out to be nothing to worry about.

So, was examined (properly this time) by my GP (not the one i saw last week) who said it's normal, lobular breast tissue. She said she didn't want to refer me for a scan - she honestly didn't think I needed to go. It still feels lumpier than the other breast. Should I press for a scan?

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Keep scaring myself with stories about everyone who's ever been misdiagnosed.

I really feel for you, Apple. Being frightened about your health is something most of us can really identify with and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Would going for a scan help or would you get yourself into even more of a state over it?

Your GP is not going to take any chances with this and if he or she even slightly suspected it was worth further investigation, you would have been referred to the breast clinic. Of course keep an eye on it but really, I would take what the GP said and try not to worry about it any more xx

Good question Sarah - honest answer is I don't know. I know I'd want a scan but would worry until I had it. The lump in my left boob really does feel bigger than anything on the same side in the other boob, if that makes sense. Am now poking and pinching myself again to check :(

You have been examined by two docs now and neither of them thought it was necessary to take things any further. Mammograms and procedures like that can be very stressful for lots us. Do you want to put yourself through it when your doc thinks there is no reason to, especially when it might not give you peace of mind anyway?

However, it is your body and your health and your peace of mind you need to look after. Can I suggest waiting a few days and seeing how you feel about it then? Sometimes when we get so used to worrying then the reason to worry is taken away it takes a while to let go of the worry, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, big hugs to you. Try to remember you have actually had some great news from the doc today xx

Ok, will do. Am going to try and stop the poking. And am going to take a break from worrying about it for tonight! Hugs x

Sleep well, Apple xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information