Thread: Had my doctors appointment today...

Had my doctors appointment today...

Hi guys, lets try this again. Trying to post whilst distracted is not a good idea.

Been to my doctor today, she had a look in my mouth and throat and said she can see no abnormalities or anything that she thinks could be pre-cancerous. What I didnt realise is that she is a trainee doctor (though that doesn't mean she doesn't know what she is talking about of course). She had a senior doctor assessing her today and asked for his opinion as I have a very slight white coating on my tongue. Apparently it's geographic tongue, which I thought lasted for months when I've had it for years. But it's not dangerous so that's a good thing.

I have an appointment next week as she wants to check my shoulder and spine out properly and see what to do in the sense of referrals.

Also she doesn't want me on any meds for my anxiety, as both my mother (who also suffers from HA), and my auntie (depression) have both been on different brands and they don't seem to help in anyway or make the problems worse. And whilst the way my brain works isn't particularly healthy, I'm not too keen on taking something that changes the way your brain works for you.

She is seeing about getting me in to see a cognitive therapist. I've read both good and bad things about this kind of therapy, so I'm a little apprehensive as to what to expect.

Re: Had my doctors appointment today...

That sounds great, she will be more thorough than a Dr thats been at it for years, she will also understand HA as she will have better insight being freshly trained and years ago HA was hysteria, if she can’t find a problem then I would say their isn’t one to find.
    Have a great day and try(not easy I know) to have fun.
    CBT is great if you are willing to trust the therapist.

She is (or at least seems to be) very understanding. I've always been a bit aprehensive about going to the doctors, as most that I've had in the past have been very flippant and on one occasion I was told by the doctor, that they won't deal with more than one problem at at time, as they have other patients to see (nice to know they care). So it's refreshing to find a doctor who actually listens and is happy to give me the time of day.

She wants to see me every 2 weeks or so from now on, so hopefully being able to have very regular check ups will help a little. Never had any type of therapy before so this CBT will certainly be a new experience. Hopefully not a bad one.

Good news! I also have geographic tongue and a lot of it is due to me biting and grinding my teeth at night, which can also cause neck and shoulder pain.

I've grinded my teeth together for years, I don't even realise I'm doing it half the time. I'm just glad there isn't anything the doctor seems worried about in my mouth.

Though I still have my brain tumour fears as I have been feeling a bit dizzy/lightheaded this week, more than usual, had headaches throughout the week and my vision seems a little off. Though hopefully it's down to my glasses no longer being quite strong enough, seeing as I was given a new prescription when I got my eyes checked last weekend. I've got to pick them up sometime this weekend, so hopefully that will all clear up a bit then.

Thread Information