Thread: Is anxiety causing stomach problems, or stomach causing anxiety ?

Is anxiety causing stomach problems, or stomach causing anxiety ?

For about 3 weeks my anxiety has been really bad and I have also been having problems with my stomach. As soon as I get up it starts, symptoms are little lower stomach pain and my stomach is rolling, it feels as if my blood pressure goes up as my head goes all tinnngely and I start shaking. My legs go wobbly. I feel quite strange as well this can last for a few seconds or sometimes minutes. I also get itching and tingling in my nose which is driving me mad. Any one get similar or advice would be appreciated.

Re: Is anxiety causing stomach problems, or stomach causing anxiety ?

i get this and alot of other things when my anxiety is bad as it is today i have pain in my joints for three days its starting to go now i have been pretty good as of late just when you think its gone it comes back, if its not one thing its another, i try and say to myself go way its only anxiety i find is to try to keep busy take care steve

I get that feeling in my nose as well when I'm anxious, kind of like pins and needles-my friends and family always think I'm mad when I say I have pins and needles in my nose!

I just assume it is another anxiety symptom and one of the ones I can actually cope with so I don't mind it too much!

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

Thanks for reply guys.

Claire,

Firstly I hope you feeling better today.

This is a question that I struggle with every day. I firmly believe it is the essence of Health Anxiety, and everyone on here has asked themselves the same thing!!!

My symptoms are chest and arm related rather than my stomach. But the same question applies. I know that the physical sensation of pain and discomfort is real. I am def not imagining it. It can come on anytime regardless of what I am doing. Some days it is constant. My anxiety seems to increase at the first sign of any discomfort.

My GP says the pain is caused by anxiety as my heart has been thoroughly tested.

It sure is a difficult question to answer.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Claire,

Firstly I hope you feeling better today.

This is a question that I struggle with every day. I firmly believe it is the essence of Health Anxiety, and everyone on here has asked themselves the same thing!!!

My symptoms are chest and arm related rather than my stomach. But the same question applies. I know that the physical sensation of pain and discomfort is real. I am def not imagining it. It can come on anytime regardless of what I am doing. Some days it is constant. My anxiety seems to increase at the first sign of any discomfort.

My GP says the pain is caused by anxiety as my heart has been thoroughly tested.

It sure is a difficult question to answer.

Charlie

Hi Charlie
    Thanks for the reply.
    I’ve been to the doctors today as I have a week off work. The doctor says it is anxiety related, he wanted to put me on antidepressants which I refused, I take propranolol for anxiety and Omeprazole for my stomach, he says I can up the doses of these. I had routine blood tests about 4 months ago, so he said they should be still fine, if I get any more symptoms or feel worse to go back, but he was sure its anxiety related. When I got home I got in a state feeling funny etc… when will it end, even going to the doctors does not seem to put my mind at rest.
    Hope your well.
    Claire

Hi Claire,

Good that you have been to the doctor. I too am refusing to take medication. I was prescribed Paroxetine, but the horror stories have prevented me from taking them. I have been on propanolol in the past, but am now totally meds free.

You prob will get the odd funny turn despite the reassurance from your GP. Hopefully they will fade and you will get your life back.

I am slightly better today. Gave myself a good talking to earlier and have got on with my day !!! Lol.

Take care

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Hi Claire,

Good that you have been to the doctor. I too am refusing to take medication. I was prescribed Paroxetine, but the horror stories have prevented me from taking them. I have been on propanolol in the past, but am now totally meds free.

You prob will get the odd funny turn despite the reassurance from your GP. Hopefully they will fade and you will get your life back.

I am slightly better today. Gave myself a good talking to earlier and have got on with my day !!! Lol.

Take care

Charlie
    Glad you're feeling better today Charlie. Going to give myself a good talking to now. Lol.
    All the best. Take care.

oh my forever question!!
    They all say that is anxiety.. but for sure some stomach problems are there..
    The problem is that my anxiety is ALL in the stomach.. my mind seems to be ok, I don't have other simptoms, just that crazy feeling in the stomach that I hate always there..
    And ok after few days like that I start to be tired of that blablabla and the real anxiety kicks in...
    groarr..
    I plan to go to the gp again for some checks, I am taking antidepressant for many years for this anxiety, but still I have crisis.
    I took the esameprazol for 2 months as I started coughing the night and it solved the cough problem at least..

Thread Information