Thread: Recovery question

Recovery question

Hi everyone,

I wasn't really sure where to post this but here goes anyway! I've suffered from terrible anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia every day for the last 5 years... But now I'm more or less recovered, which is FANTASTIC. This might sound like a bit of an odd question, but now that I don't feel anxious anymore and I'm not having any irrational thoughts/ fears, I feel really strange! Is this just because I'm not used to feeling anxiety free? It's like now that this anxiety has disappeared, it feels like part of me is missing, and my mind is trying to find something to be anxious about but not finding anything... Will this fade in time, as I get used to normal life and normal thoughts again?

Well that turned into a bit of a ramble, but I'd appreciate any replies!

Thanks, Jack

Re: Recovery question

First of all, well done on your recovery!!

I have suffered more or less the same as you but I am not yet fully recovered. I do, however have 'good days' and find myself checking for anxiety and wondering why I feel 'different'. I guess when you have suffered so long, it's natural to question this 'new you'. We get so used to being ultra sensitised to our anxieties, when they are not with us it is like a big part of our character is missing.

I am sure this will subside for you in time. Keep positive, you have done so well to come out the other side

All the best for the future. Kitti

Well done, Jack ... always nice to hear a success story. I can't wait until I feel like this. One day, one day soon I hope...

Peter x

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPanic View Post
    Hi everyone,

I wasn't really sure where to post this but here goes anyway! I've suffered from terrible anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia every day for the last 5 years... But now I'm more or less recovered, which is FANTASTIC. This might sound like a bit of an odd question, but now that I don't feel anxious anymore and I'm not having any irrational thoughts/ fears, I feel really strange! Is this just because I'm not used to feeling anxiety free? It's like now that this anxiety has disappeared, it feels like part of me is missing, and my mind is trying to find something to be anxious about but not finding anything... Will this fade in time, as I get used to normal life and normal thoughts again?

Well that turned into a bit of a ramble, but I'd appreciate any replies!

Thanks, Jack
    I was actually going to write a quick thread about this recently. But decided against it as this week has been a bit crappy I didn't feel justified!

There is a lot of truth in your post. There is a function in the brain to build and maintain a sense of self. a big problem in most people with anxiety is that if they've had it for a while it starts to feed into that self-building function, and so becomes a part of 'you'. even though it's a crappy feeling and no one wants it, the big paradox is that people subconsciously don't want to lose it!

I know that's a bit controversial because everyone will scream that they don't want their anxiety but underneath the surface they are afraid of losing their anxiety because to lose it would feel like a loss of 'self', and a loss of self can promote fear itself.

I think it's probably a very common problem. When someone is recovering from anxiety, or even has a good day or two, the sudden loss of that familiar sense of anxiety can become disorientating and the mind starts to worry about what it means! The loss of anxiety can be anxiety provoking!

So don't worry about it. It may feel strange for a little while but that will pass

Thread Information