Thread: Citalopram and palpitations!

Citalopram and palpitations!

I have been on citalopram 20mg for about 8 weeks. I had a couple of rough weeks at the beginning and now I feel fine apart from yesterday I started to get palpitations. I dont feel particularly anxious about anything - other than the fact that I am having palpitations which I know is a vicious circle. Have read somewhere that citalopram could be linked to dangerous heart arrythmias?? Any advice please would be great

Re: Citalopram and palpitations!

Frankly, this really isn't something to get advice for on the web; emotional and temporary physical side effects are one thing, but anything approaching permanent physical damage requires professional attention. I advise reading the warning label and reading it again, research any possible interactions with other meds you take or conditions you may have, and if you have any remaining concerns at all or if the situation appears to worsen, call up your nurse or doc immediately and make sure everything is under control. There are some rare side effects to consider.

My question would be whether the heart rhythm changes are associated with a feeling of panic, or if they occur separately of that. Also, have you noticed any symptoms that feel like you are highly caffeinated or somewhat manic? I would think about those issues and then discuss with your doc.

I hope you feel improvement soon!

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am not on any other meds and was only asking for some advice. I know the web is not the best place but am sure like most people who suffer from anxiety we look there and know we shouldn't. Of course I will seek professional help but thought I would try and reassure myself before I wait 2 weeks to see a GP.

when my husband was on cit last time he had heart palpitations and doc said it was fine, but that was for him everyones diff

i would deff take ya self of to the doc and seek his advise, but if at anytime before that you feel worse, or get pains in the chest then dont mess around, just call an ambulance, they can run an ecg then and there and if they see anything to worry about they can deal with it. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Weensta View Post
    I am not on any other meds and was only asking for some advice. I know the web is not the best place but am sure like most people who suffer from anxiety we look there and know we shouldn't. Of course I will seek professional help but thought I would try and reassure myself before I wait 2 weeks to see a GP.
    Weensta I don't think this is something you wait 2 weeks for. I think you should call it in to your doc's office and/or speak with a nurse. You need to get it on the record and let professionals decide whether it is or isn't an issue.

It's probably no big deal, but... what do you have to lose by checking it out? You shouldn't take chances with these meds. They can ...rarely... cause real problems.

Don't mean to scare you, and my usual admonition is to solider through and not worry, but I think we need to draw the line with the more potentially dangerous side effects.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information