Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Strange

Feeling Strange

Just feeling really strange and detached at the moment.. really detached from everything and very 'unreal'. It's very hard to describe but it's HORRIBLE! My councillar thinks my anxiety is getting better but I find it hard to believe her and I'm convinced she's got it wrong and I'm going mad! It sounds very silly but I just can't seem to shake the thought and a result Ive been feeling pretty depressed all week. :-(

Paul,

You aren't going mad, mate. What you are experiencing is pretty normal when your anxious and a little bit down. It's also normal to experience this kind of thing when you are really tired but don't suffer from anxiety and depression - it's just that in that case you dont pay that much attention to it. There are lots of posts on this website about this feeling and you aren't alone. Try not to be paranoid about what your counsellor is saying - instead, take heart from what she is saying because she obviously thinks you are doing well. Try to realise that constantly thinking about going mad is probably what it causing your symptoms to linger - easier said than done I know, but possible. Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

Hi Paul

Been feeling the same for a while, I think alot of it is mental exhaustion from all the thinking, worrying we do!!. Sometimes I have to think am I really here because I feel so spaced out!. Hope you feel better soon. PM me if you want.

xKirstyx

Hi, what u r describing sounds like whats known as 'derealisation', I get it sometimes and it seems to be a fairly common symptom. Lots of others on this site have experience of it, try doing a search on 'derealisation' (might be spelt derealization, not sure!) or depersonalisation' and there should be loads of old threads.

Hi Paul

I have a feeling of being 'not with it' most days. At the moment I'm going through alot of stress and I know that when I'm down/anxious/ stressed I feel like this even more. If you consciously think about it then it seems to be there all the time. I try to keep myself busy in any way possible.

Carla

Hi Paul,believe me you are not going mad.A few months ago I thought I was going crazy,I thought I was going to end up in hospital.I was given this site and found I wasnt alone,I was so relieved to see there were so many people like myself.Your not alone and you will get so much so support here.
    Take care

Ellen XX

hi paul

you're not going mad this is a symptom of anxiety i get it a lot especially lately it is like rossie said depersonalization or derealization (i've probably spelt them wrong as well)

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've got generalised anxiety, panic disorder and depression. I've had years of feeling unreal. That seems to have calmed down a bit, but I'm still very anxious and depressed. I do start to think I'm getting better, but any change in my symptoms make me feel anxious. I'm off work because I couldn't face it and now I'm feeling crap at home. I would give anything to feel 'normal'.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Thanks guys! I guess sometimes the feelings of anxiety just overwhelm me and my brain is totally fried! Once I'm busy generally I'm OK but once I start thinking about it I can't stop and my brain runs at 7 million miles an hour! I find it impossible to relax and enjoy life and I've only had this for about 5 months

Hi paul,

I get that feeling a lot. I now understand that thats its very normal for people with anxiety to get that feeling that everything is unreal.
    Its still scary tho, my mind runs riot as to what is actually happening to me.
    I cant work cus of panic and anxiety, I havent worked for 13 months. It gets me down being at home, but im determined to get over this blip in my life and get back to normality.

Take care
    LYNN xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information