Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flickering Vision - Panic!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flickering Vision - Panic!

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I had two episodes of what I've since been told were "visual migraine." - although i've yet to have this confirmed by a neurologist. Basically my entire field of vision started flickering - and it lasted a couple of minutes.

Of course, the experience TOTALLY freaked me out. All of the ususal thoughts came to mind (brain tumor, ms, you name it)....

Since then I've developed some other symptoms, which are not helping my state of mind. On occasion (more often than not) when I wake up in the morning, my vision notably flickers untill I make an effort to focus on something, then the flickering goes. Also, I notice that the flicker from the TV, computer monitor, etc is a LOT more noticable. Even when I went to the cinema yesterday I could notice the sides of the screen flickering when I focused in the centre of the screen. Its quite freaky. I also notice flicker when I go into shops or buildings which have certain kinds of florescent lighting (although thankfully not in the office where I work)!

Its important to say that I am definately "a worrier" and have been pre-occupied by this for a number of weeks now. I am going to see a neurologist but it will likely be weeks before I get an appointment. Had my eyes tested by opticion last week and was told they were fine.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Thanks!

Hi Mel78

I get the flickering vision on the computer screen and television also. I feel when I panic, my vision gets 'locked' and I stare (hope that makes sense). I also look at things, and they dont look quite right. This really freaks my out and makes me panic even more.

I suffer from really bad headaches and carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. I went to the doctors who told me it could be migraines caused by stress but asked me to get my eyes tested also. I went to the opticians who said everything looked fine and to make another appt with my doctor if I wasnt happy with my headaches. As I was so worried it was a brain tumour etc I asked my doctor to refer me privately for a MRI scan. As I had to pay for the scan, I had an appt within 1 week. I had the MRI scan and after over 2 weeks wait for the results they thankfully came back normal. I thought this would stop me having the headaches, but unfortunately it hasnt.

thanks for that 1971. I've actually noticed that a lot of people on this site seem to have symptoms similar to mine. Its quite reassuring. Its strange the tricks the mind can play on the body. Of course, the problem is that knowing (or suspecting) its just the mind, does not seem to help!

Hi
    i have exactly the same, ihave suffered with optical migraines since i had my son, its horrible, ive also noticed i mainly get them when im due on, my i had it mildly yesterday, i was changing my bed sheet my mattress has lots of lines on it and it started my eyes off, i have read that thats quite comman, also u can get them alot from the glare of the sun,
    i also had my eyes tested last week, and mine were fine, i asked the optician about brain tumors and he said if there were a tumor causing this he would be able 2 see it, i dunno if u have otehr symptoms but i dont suffer with headaches, i just get the eye flickering,, mine last about 10-15 mins, a friend of mine also suffers with it.

take care
    leanne

i just wanna feel normal

Exclamation Re: Flickering Vision - Panic!

sorry about my spelling mistates, didnt read though before posting it, lol

Re: Flickering Vision - Panic!

That can be a bit scary the first time it happens. It was a Sunday when I experienced it. I had just been to get the newspaper and was just making myself a cup of coffee when I started to get these gold zig-zags in my left eye.

It went on for 20mins and to be honest I thought I might be having a stroke (I thought this because every one in my family have either had a CVA or cardiac problems).

Anyway I went over to casualty and the doctor said it was an optical migraine once I knew what it was I was OK. Touch wood it was the only one I had ever had.

hi, i have been suffering these vision problems for the last 6 years, it all starting when i was riding my bike down a country lane and was dazzled by the reflection of the sun on a car rear screen, i got a sort of a aura flickering in the centre of my vision, this off course made me panic a bit so i pulled over, my vision aura then stated to spread and ended up around the outside of my eyes leaving me with tunnel vision, i took ibuprofen and afer about 30 mins my eyes went back to normal, this was only after i had to cover my face so i was in complete darkness, anyway when it went i thought that was the end of it, but i,ve been getting similar auras since, most at the moment are triggered by stress or staring at something or getting dazzled by the sun, i to have been to the docs, he told me they sounded like vision migraines, for the first 5 years i never got a headache after this, but just recently i have been getting a splitting headache afer the aura has gone, i went to the optitions six times in six months as i suspected something bad, but they said my eyes where fine, so i went back to the doctors ,he got me an appointment with a neurologist, he ticked my feet with a comb thing, tested my reflexes and said my brains fine, i was a bit worried as i had no idea my brain was in my foot, lol...any way the doc said that the vision migraines are caused by a archery narrowing, he prescribed naratriptan 2.5 mg tabs, i havent got round to taking them yet as when i get a migraine, i,ve either left them in my jacket,car or at home, i have a bit of a aura around the outside of my eyes now as i write this, i find it gets worst when i go outside or look towards the window, i was just about to take a tablet, then i read the side effects and it put me off, so i think i,ll stick with ibuprofen and i know they work, hope this helps, it deffinetly worrying though i must admit, i,m glad in a nice way that i,m not alone i,n suffering from this, cheers, ian

Quote Originally Posted by r1nutter View Post
    hi, i have been suffering these vision problems for the last 6 years, it all starting when i was riding my bike down a country lane and was dazzled by the reflection of the sun on a car rear screen, i got a sort of a aura flickering in the centre of my vision, this off course made me panic a bit so i pulled over, my vision aura then stated to spread and ended up around the outside of my eyes leaving me with tunnel vision, i took ibuprofen and afer about 30 mins my eyes went back to normal, this was only after i had to cover my face so i was in complete darkness, anyway when it went i thought that was the end of it, but i,ve been getting similar auras since, most at the moment are triggered by stress or staring at something or getting dazzled by the sun, i to have been to the docs, he told me they sounded like vision migraines, for the first 5 years i never got a headache after this, but just recently i have been getting a splitting headache afer the aura has gone, i went to the optitions six times in six months as i suspected something bad, but they said my eyes where fine, so i went back to the doctors ,he got me an appointment with a neurologist, he ticked my feet with a comb thing, tested my reflexes and said my brains fine, i was a bit worried as i had no idea my brain was in my foot, lol...any way the doc said that the vision migraines are caused by a archery narrowing, he prescribed naratriptan 2.5 mg tabs, i havent got round to taking them yet as when i get a migraine, i,ve either left them in my jacket,car or at home, i have a bit of a aura around the outside of my eyes now as i write this, i find it gets worst when i go outside or look towards the window, i was just about to take a tablet, then i read the side effects and it put me off, so i think i,ll stick with ibuprofen and i know they work, hope this helps, it deffinetly worrying though i must admit, i,m glad in a nice way that i,m not alone i,n suffering from this, cheers, ian
    Hey i had this exact same thing a couple of years ago (i still get them on the rare occasion), and my doctor told me it was an 'optical migrane'. i wast totally baffled by this at first but after doing some research i figured out thats what it was. what also crazy is that mine started just like yours - a bright reflection, looking at a bright light momentarily, etc..with the light source 'burned' into the center of your eye, spreading out toward the sides of the eye, followed by light headedness, and tunnel vision.

like i said, for some reason mine just went away on their own.

I had this back in August last year at work, I actually lost vision in my eye for ages, went over to AED and was convinced I was dying of a stroke or something because my face started to tingle.

Any way they ECG'd me fine, BP fine a bit high because I was panicking.

Saw a 12 year old dr whom said done the reflexs and touch tests etc when I explained he just laughed and said oh I get these they are optical migraines they scare the hell out of you the first time don't they. I got a bit annoyed and said but I don't get headaches, apparently I have spoken to a few people since and you don't have to have a headache when you suffer from migraine how bizarre is that, apparently some peoples vision is affected, some get strange tastes and smells, or touch sensations, tingles and all sorts of bizarre symtoms! I am not a dr or anything I would suggest if anyone bothered by anything like this should have a word with their doc to put their mind at rest.

Its a strange world we live in no bloomin wonder we get anxious

Take care

Debbie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbird67 View Post
    I had this back in August last year at work, I actually lost vision in my eye for ages, went over to AED and was convinced I was dying of a stroke or something because my face started to tingle.

Any way they ECG'd me fine, BP fine a bit high because I was panicking.

Saw a 12 year old dr whom said done the reflexs and touch tests etc when I explained he just laughed and said oh I get these they are optical migraines they scare the hell out of you the first time don't they. I got a bit annoyed and said but I don't get headaches, apparently I have spoken to a few people since and you don't have to have a headache when you suffer from migraine how bizarre is that, apparently some peoples vision is affected, some get strange tastes and smells, or touch sensations, tingles and all sorts of bizarre symtoms! I am not a dr or anything I would suggest if anyone bothered by anything like this should have a word with their doc to put their mind at rest.

Its a strange world we live in no bloomin wonder we get anxious

Take care

Debbie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    When I had that optical migraine I didn't get a headache at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information