Thread: How do antidepressants help?

How do antidepressants help?

Hi
    Im a bit confused about what antidepressants are for. The way i see it i feel depressed because of my anxiety and once the anxiety has gone i wont be depressed anymore, have i got it all wrong? the doctor prescribed me antidepressants but i chose not to take them and wait for cbt instead, iv had 2 assessment sessions so far & i havent learnt anything i dont already know and am wondering whether i need the tablets as well? do they just work on depression or do they help with anxiety too? so fed up & weepy today feel like everything is hopeless when im having a good day its easy to forget what bad days are like. thanks in advance for any advice
    Love & hugs
    Suzy :(xx

Wait for cbt if I had the choice again that is what I would have done . I took antidepressants and wish I had not.They do not cure anything they just numb the brain!

hi suzy

i take anti anxiety drugs called cipralex which also acts as an antidepressant. they have really helped my anxietry and panic, but the choice to take meds is a personal one. maybe have a chat with the doctor or your therapist to see what is best for you

good luck

mandy xx

positive attitude brings positive results

I took citalopram for 6 months and it never helped, I think they help some by taking the edge off while you are waiting for therapy. Ultimately, I think therapy is the best option. After coming off citalopram I took effexor and had a bad allergic reaction to them, that set me back a LOT. It's personal choice but I would say if you are apprehensive about taking them, and feel you are coping well enough without then I'd avoid them. Just give the therapy longer, two sessions isn't a lot, it might take a few before you see improvements. I'm on my 6th session and only now am I feeling the benefit. Good luck,

Nel xxx

Hi Suzy!
    Anxiety and depression are very closely connected and you're unlikely to have one without having some experience of the other. Certain anti-depressants also have a license for treating anxiety: I suffer from GAD and experience some depression, but I've found my meds very helpful. Of course, there's no wonder drug that can take all those horrible feelings away but I've found the best way to get better is a combination of meds and CBT.
    Take Care
    Sarah

HI I was offered anti depressants for anxiety years ago but wouldn,t take them, but 6 years ago I had a breakdown and was bedridden and was given no alternative. They have been great for me and changed my life I have my life back again and wished I had done it all them years ago. I wasn,t depressed I am sure, but the panic attacks rule your life and make you frustrated. I would advise try them but it takes time before they work.

love pam

pcurchin

Hi mandy
    I've found Cipralex great too but I've gained about 6 kg on em.
    Have you had anything similar?
    Thanks
    Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Thread Information