Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reassurance

Any reassurance

Hi folks,

I'm new to this but feeling really desperate. I became a dad for the first time two months ago. My wife had a wee boy who is perfect in every way and very healthy. It was a planned pregnancy and my wife and I were both delighted.

My problem is almost too embarrassing to describe. We always struggled to settle on a boys name before the birth (we didn't know the sex), but agreed on my middle name (Mackenzie) which was also my grandmothers maiden name and has strong family connections. I was never 100% sure but my wife adores it, as do all my friends and family.

However from the moment he was born I have felt we have made a mistake for a variety of reasons and this has now developed to the extent that I have been off work for a month, am on medication, attending CBT and going to see a psychiatrist.

My worry is that I will always have these doubts and will not be able to fully bond with my son.

I suppose I'l looking for reassurance from anyone who has had anything like similar experience with overwhelming fixations, as I need to know they will go and I will be back to my normal self in the future.

I have had problems with anxiety/stress/depression in the past but never to this extent and nver requiring medical attention.

Thanks.

Hi newdad,

I think with treatment you will get to a normal future! I think mackenzie is a great name it is also my grandmothers maiden name. I am sure his friends will shorten it anyway, know they did with my kids!! You will bond with your son it just takes a little time sometimes when we have other problems. Remember you have lots of time to bond with your son. A lifetime in fact. Talking of sons must go see mine!

Lynnann

Hi and welcome.
    I am no expert, but could it not be the name that is really causing all the anxiety, more like just the change in life style and the huge effect a baby has.

I think you will be fine, and it sounds like you are doing all the right things to get help.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ps....i hope that didnt come across in the wrong way??!!

Hay x

Hay,

i would love to agree that I'm overwhelmed by fatherhood, but these feelings have been there since theMOMENT we named him, which is what causes me the anxiety.

Mackenzie is a gorgous name, he's bound to be something just wonderful - it's just so utterly classy and all the more so because it has an authenticity about it that you just can't contrive.

Right having got that off my chest how about you tell us why you think this name is causing you such issues. Having reproduced 3 new humans myself over the years I know that your head can be all over the place - mine still is nearly 20 years later.

If you don't think it is that then tell us a bit of why and maybe we can help?

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Well maybe i am way off.
    But as Piglet says you need to expalin a little more
    as i agree what a fab name. There must be something deeper to cause you such destress!

Oh and a quick one - how'd you get the CBT referal so quick?

Hay x

Thanks guys,

It's great to have support. Right, you asked about the reasons I'm doubting his name, so prepared to be bored/surprised etc, etc

I think Mackenzie is too long a name. It's 3 syllables, and most boys names are one or two. therefore it does not roll off the tongue like most names. Other names which are longer (Timothy, Christopher, Benjamin etc) have very common shortened versions, whereas "Mac", which I originally loved as a shortened form, now seems silly to me. I am Scottish and live in Scotland by the way.

It has 9 letters - hard for him to write when he's at school and long for him to sign when he's older.

Despite meaning "Son of the wise leader" and Mac meaning "Son of", it has become popular as a girl's name. I'm worried that the trend for it to be very popular girls name in America will continue over here and he will grow up with a "girls name".

it is more common as a surname. Despite most boys name's being also surnames, Mackenzie is not a common christian name, and I don't want him to be teased for having a silly name.

So, having chosen a name because it had family connections and was less common, I am now wishing we had just chosen a common name so a my son would fit in.

as I said before, we have had SO many compliments about his name and my wife adores it, so is this just anxiety getting the better of me? Are these obsessonal thoughts normal?

PS. I got CBT quick because I work for the NHS and am off work, so we get it free through occupational health. I had a counsellor before but thought CBT was a better option.

Thanks for that hun - I still have exactly the same opinion as did earlier, its a fab fab name!!!!

Shortened to Mac is still fab!! I would honestly try and let this go mate, I know it can be hard when we fixate on something that is important to us and our kids are VERY important.

If when he's older this girly name thing that you predict might happen, well then if he doesn't like it he can change it or use his middle name himself.

For what it's worth I think this has become the focus for what is actually your general level of anxiety and I would work on that for the moment and enjoy the arrival of the little legs!

Many congratulations to you and your wife!

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi

Congratulations on the birth of your son. I also live in Scotland and know a baby boy called Mackenzie. I think it is a lovely name and I am confident he will have know worries about his name when he is older.

I think you should try and put this behind you and enjoy your son.

chillx

Hi,

I had three children and all of them have three names each. I did this so that they could choose which one they wanted to be known by when they got older.
    Do you think you are using it as a focus of your anxiety? Our brains work in strange ways and because your unsure your mind has gone into overtime? Just a thought.
    MacKenzie is a cool name but 100 people could tell you the same thing and you probably aren't convinced.
    My youngest had a uncommon name, it has only recently got more popular, but like i said she has two others to choose from if she doesn't like it.

Take Care

Magicsheep x

If you don't want to do it you'll find an excuse. If you want to do it, you will!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information