Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off Citalopram

Re: Coming off Citalopram

Must admit I didn't have too many problems when I came off citalopram, and previously I've had withdrawal symptoms with a number of different medications.

If I remember rightly, I stopped taking them about 4(?) years ago, and I had been on 20 mg daily. I dropped this down to 10 mg for about 3-4 weeks, then to 10 mg every other day for another 3 weeks. After that it got slightly more complicated, as first I tried 10 mg every 3 days, but that made me feel quite twitchy, so I changed that to 5 mg every other day, then 5 mg every three days before stopping them altogether.

I did this phase-out on the advice of my GP, who said it was better to reduce them gradually.

I really didn't have that many problems, other than the one bout of "twitchiness", where I felt sort of hyper-aware of everything, which was a bit unpleasant.

When I stopped taking them completely, I did find for a little while that I felt very alert (which was actually quite pleasant) and found I was doing things more quickly than usual, but this wore off after a couple of weeks.

What probably also helped was I was going to the gym about 3 times a week then, and I found the exercise burnt off some of the excess energy. I wasn't doing any really heavy exercise though, just some time on the treadmill and exercise bike and a few weights. Which reminds me, I really ought to get off my butt and do a bit more of that....

My advice for what its worth regarding Citalopram withdrawal Vakas mentioned about being the only one who knows your body, this is totally correct and remember Drs have experience as in books and other patients reports but you know your body!
    However that said I would NEVER advise going cold turkey especially from an Anti D. Remember when you start them you often build up from a small dose to get your body use to them and for adjustments to be made and we all respond differently because we are individuals with size, weight, reponses etc.

This is basically how I did it and yes I still experienced side effects but if bearable then perserve and ride em out!

I tried a few times but each time I ended back on 20mg because I tried too quick and didn't stabalise!

I withdrew from 40mg down to zero and from what I remember took about 4 months in total.
    40mg down 30mg for at least 4 weeks
    30mg down 20mg for 4 weeks
    20mg to 10mg for about 3 weeks
    10mg to 5mg (snapped in half) for 2-3 weeks
    then to Zero which I still am 6months later

I totally appreciate its not easy and I don't remember all the side effects I had but they varied at various intervals. I remember for no particalar reason from 20 - 10mg was the hardest drop!

I had head whooshes and what felt like fireworks exploding in my head and twitching which wasn't visible but i thought was! That was the worst side effect because to function its hard if your head is twitchy and like fireworks exploding.

I now feel normal and its totally worth it! I also had to withdraw diazepam and zopiclone within that period but its the citalopram I really needed to cos that really doesn't help if you want to function normally again!

I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but just to empathise and sympathise what people are going through but believe me when I say its worth it for sure sooooooooooooooooooooooooo just to encourage and say keep going lovies and pm if I can be of any encouragement or help to anyone.

Much love Sax xxxx

Thanks alot for the advice...

I started back on the 10MG yesterday feeling a bit better but not much guess it will take time,

Will take 10mg for a month or so see how it goes and then cut down very gradually according to how I feel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Hello all, I'm keen to stay in touch and let you know how I'm progressing- and I am progressing!
    Hello, it's been over a year since I last posted, I did say I'd keep in touch... well, here I am

I think the thing I'd most like to share is that I've had no relapses of my depression, there have been plenty of times where I felt 'tested' and under duress but I coped and despite some short term after effects from coming off the citalopram (for a few months after, more acute in the immediate aftermath) I'm ok

Life throws stuff at me but I seem to find the resolve to carry on, sometimes I can feel a bit bleak but I seem to have found a reserve (of experience, I suppose) to call on to help me through

That period in my life, the after effects of coming off my meds, the six years prior to that of being on A-D's, the period of depression and anxiety that led to that is a memory now, but I learned so much from it

It's a difficult time right now, my job is temporary and looks like it's coming to an end in the next few months, money's tight, the employment picture where I live is pretty bleak... but I'm not despairing, perhaps I'm a bit foolish not to be, but I do feel ready to take life on, more so than I ever did back then

I hope this isn't too self-indulgent but I did promise an update

Thank you and best wishes to all

i have been taking 20mg citalopram for the past 6 months i have just stopped taking them and i have to say the side effects are horrific! my brain feels like its wobbling in my head! the second day i stopped taking them i kicked off with a migrane - which i get anyways but this was by far the worst it lasted for nearly 2 and a half days and just wouldnt budge i am now getting realy bad irratic heart rhythm, dizziness, disorientation, hot sweats and i feel as though i havnt slept in weeks! in the passt 6 months i have gained nearly 2 STONE in weight! the doctor didnt tell me of any of these horrific side effects before i started taking them his comment was '' half of america takes them - there harmless '' alls i can say is no wonder there obese! these tablets pile the weight on you! 4 days after not taking them i could see a huge difference in the shape of my body already! my waist is actually visible again! these tablets also messed up my menstrual cycle and made me extremly bloted at one point i looked about 6 months pregnant! and burp! i couldnt stop all day every day! i wouldnt recomend them to anybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Hello, it's been over a year since I last posted, I did say I'd keep in touch... well, here I am

I think the thing I'd most like to share is that I've had no relapses of my depression, there have been plenty of times where I felt 'tested' and under duress but I coped and despite some short term after effects from coming off the citalopram (for a few months after, more acute in the immediate aftermath) I'm ok

Life throws stuff at me but I seem to find the resolve to carry on, sometimes I can feel a bit bleak but I seem to have found a reserve (of experience, I suppose) to call on to help me through

That period in my life, the after effects of coming off my meds, the six years prior to that of being on A-D's, the period of depression and anxiety that led to that is a memory now, but I learned so much from it

It's a difficult time right now, my job is temporary and looks like it's coming to an end in the next few months, money's tight, the employment picture where I live is pretty bleak... but I'm not despairing, perhaps I'm a bit foolish not to be, but I do feel ready to take life on, more so than I ever did back then

I hope this isn't too self-indulgent but I did promise an update

Thank you and best wishes to all
    Overall, good news then! How long was it until you felt yourself again after stopping the tablets?

I stopped last week and am pretty up and down... crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by mm1u1 View Post
    i have been taking 20mg citalopram for the past 6 months i have just stopped taking them and i have to say the side effects are horrific! my brain feels like its wobbling in my head! the second day i stopped taking them i kicked off with a migrane - which i get anyways but this was by far the worst it lasted for nearly 2 and a half days and just wouldnt budge i am now getting realy bad irratic heart rhythm, dizziness, disorientation, hot sweats and i feel as though i havnt slept in weeks! in the passt 6 months i have gained nearly 2 STONE in weight! the doctor didnt tell me of any of these horrific side effects before i started taking them his comment was '' half of america takes them - there harmless '' alls i can say is no wonder there obese! these tablets pile the weight on you! 4 days after not taking them i could see a huge difference in the shape of my body already! my waist is actually visible again! these tablets also messed up my menstrual cycle and made me extremly bloted at one point i looked about 6 months pregnant! and burp! i couldnt stop all day every day! i wouldnt recomend them to anybody!
    i stopped taking them 4wks(20mg) ago and am feeling great only the odd vivid dream.my doc suggested alternate days taking 7 tabs over 2wks but after 3 days i just stopped completely.I was on them for just over a year and thought I woulnt be able to control the panic attacks without them but I am fine and able to get on with work and everything else in my life.plus my wife is happy again because before i was on the tabs i was using drink to cope with the panic attacks and now i dont need either but can still enjoy a beer whenever i want.hope others can do it my way

Haha I do laugh when I remember coming off citalapram, I was getting all the mood swings really bad then one day I went to the post office to renew my car tax, the Que had about 20 people in it when I got to the counter she refused my insurance cert as she said it was only a cover note, I screamed like the devil at her and told her I was insured but she still refused. I walked out passed the Que of people all looking at me in horror and burst into tears outside the shop, I felt as if I could have murdered someone, I eventually calmed down found my insurance cert and went back with my tail between my legs, I got the same women at the counter and could not stop apologising to her for my bad behaviour I felt so embarrassed. I think we should wear some sort of badge or something when coming off these tablets to warn people of what to expect and to take no offense if the devil does appear.

Quote Originally Posted by spooner View Post
    Hi Dave and thanks for reply.

Ive tried reducing the dose before but i just get similiar side effects and ended up going back to 20mg.
    I want to live life now without taking these pills but i just need to get past these horrible side effects. Dont suppose you know how long they will last?

Rob.
    hi there, i am finding this forum really helpful as stopped taking my 20mg of citalopram about 2 weeks ago. i have felt constantly sick, headachy, dizzy and tearful but am determined not to go back on them. i read somewhere on here that these effects may just last a couple of weeks - hope so. i dont think people are going to be able to cope with me much longer. thanks for all the great info folks. it does help knowing that the effects are normal and that youre not the only one going through it xx

Hi guys,

I found this forum a month or two ago when I was thinking about coming off citalopram. I cut down from 20mg to 10mg thanks to all the advice I read on here, so cheers for that.

I'm now onto my 2nd day of taking nothing so I've got the lovely dizzy/weird focus symptom again. Great stuff.

I've smoked on and off for a while but when I cut down to 10mg I found that smoking again really helped take the edge of the symptoms. Anyone else found that, or is it just me?

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information