Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off Citalopram

Re: Coming off Citalopram

Absolutely, I have been on and off Citalopram for a year and been having one every other day for 2 weeks. I have had several nasty migraines and feel anxious ands tearful most ofb the time.

Think a trip to the bahamas may help......

Hi, I have posted on another area about Citalopram and sexual dysfunction, anyhow I am looking to come off as I simply have no sex life anymore...

I have cut the tablets in half for past few weeks from 20mg to 10mg, I am more tired it would seem late afternoon, however no other side effects except maybe a more dry mouth (even though lesser dose?).

I am going to stay on this dose til next week then cut to one every other day @ 10mg.

I did do this a while back, and found that it made me very down again, my main issue for going on them was divorce, however that was 3 years ago and I am over that now, and everything else seems ok.

I hate to say it but Citalopram does work, but the zero sex drive is causing me relationship issues, which makes me down on another level!

Off topic slightly , i,ve been on the cit for 15 days mine still works but doesn,t fire . Sex drive isn,t what it was though , i,d sooner have an extra roast spud to be honest , good job the missis an,t to bothered .

Quote Originally Posted by Sax View Post
    My advice for what its worth regarding Citalopram withdrawal Vakas mentioned about being the only one who knows your body, this is totally correct and remember Drs have experience as in books and other patients reports but you know your body!
    However that said I would NEVER advise going cold turkey especially from an Anti D. Remember when you start them you often build up from a small dose to get your body use to them and for adjustments to be made and we all respond differently because we are individuals with size, weight, reponses etc.

This is basically how I did it and yes I still experienced side effects but if bearable then perserve and ride em out!

I tried a few times but each time I ended back on 20mg because I tried too quick and didn't stabalise!

I withdrew from 40mg down to zero and from what I remember took about 4 months in total.
    40mg down 30mg for at least 4 weeks
    30mg down 20mg for 4 weeks
    20mg to 10mg for about 3 weeks
    10mg to 5mg (snapped in half) for 2-3 weeks
    then to Zero which I still am 6months later

I totally appreciate its not easy and I don't remember all the side effects I had but they varied at various intervals. I remember for no particalar reason from 20 - 10mg was the hardest drop!

I had head whooshes and what felt like fireworks exploding in my head and twitching which wasn't visible but i thought was! That was the worst side effect because to function its hard if your head is twitchy and like fireworks exploding.

I now feel normal and its totally worth it! I also had to withdraw diazepam and zopiclone within that period but its the citalopram I really needed to cos that really doesn't help if you want to function normally again!

I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but just to empathise and sympathise what people are going through but believe me when I say its worth it for sure sooooooooooooooooooooooooo just to encourage and say keep going lovies and pm if I can be of any encouragement or help to anyone.

Much love Sax xxxx
    I could sure do with some of your help to get rid of this citolopram invading my brain! I am at my wits end. I just want rid, but it is soooo difficult, have tried many times, but the side effects always get their way, and then I give up again.

Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    hi there, i am finding this forum really helpful as stopped taking my 20mg of citalopram about 2 weeks ago. i have felt constantly sick, headachy, dizzy and tearful but am determined not to go back on them. i read somewhere on here that these effects may just last a couple of weeks - hope so. i dont think people are going to be able to cope with me much longer. thanks for all the great info folks. it does help knowing that the effects are normal and that youre not the only one going through it xx
    Hi, after reading most of these comments here, I know I am not alone in feeling the same side effects as everyone else, as I didn't know the side effects were so horrendous I just wish my GP could have told me this prior to mashing my brain up, I feel very let down and am suffering so much in the process. I don't know whether I will stick it out or not, can't handle it at all. Very very sad at the moment.

Hey there, Ive been on citallopram for about 15 months, been 30mg-40mg then down to 20mg and for the last couple of months ive been on 10mg. Now im trying to come off because i feel its not helping me anymore so doing 10mg every 2 days, have been for about a week. This is really making things hard, i can't concentrate as good, feel sick, more stressed and anxious and tired. Everyone has good days and bad days but i have more bad then good, usually feel worse on the day i take the tablet for some reason. If i drink a fair amount of alcohol, the next day i feel very depressed and the hang over is worse then normal so have cut down drinking a lot.

I used to do drugs such as cannabis, speed, and mephedrone last year but havent touched anything for a few months now so im clean from them and turning my life around but citallopram, a legal drug seems to give a lot worse after effects when breaking the habbit and doctors should make people aware how bad you can feel before allowing patients be on these for a long period of time, some days feel like hell even when nothing goes majorly wrong. Any memory of bad thoughts will break me down such as ex gf. I wonder if its better for me to just go cold turkey rather then 10mg every 2 days cuz knowing my doctor he will prob want me back up to 20mg every day!

hi ya. you really should chat to ur doc b4 coming of ur meds, there are different methods and you need to come of them slowly so ur body and mind can adjust, im coming of mine but im taking my time and setting realistic goals, side effects will happen, but not as serious this way i feel

hi mandie.. i jus came off them tablets last week n i feel bloody awful

Cold turkey is def. a bad idea.

The brain is the control centre for the whole body, and you've been using a drug to support some vital chemical functions of it. Suddenly stopping is going to throw everything out of sync.

The way my doctor once explained how the part of the brain that moderates the mood chemicals works, he suggested it was like a thermostat for your heating. It has a range of high and low, and obviously the ideal position is in the middle from which point you can go up and down.

Any kinds of extreme actions tend to force the dial one way or the other.

I have come down 20mg this year from the dizzying heights of 50mg by 10mg every two weeks.

The step from 40-30mg has given me the same sort of sysmptoms of everyone else. The head zaps only really lasted for a few days though.

I have been stupidly tired, at night for some reason I wake up every 30m - 1hr very hot, sweaty, sometime soaking bed, despite its winter. I have to leave my window open and let freezing air in. And I still wake up regularly.

Then I end up sleeping most of the day. Yesterday I had four naps in the day for up-to 2 hours. I'm worse than a teenager

I also get diarrhea which really isn't nice.

I'm into the second week of 30mg now and apart from the sleeping, I'm feeling ok emotionally and whilst the side effects are uncomfortable its nothing I can't cope with.

Although, if I had a job where I couldn't work from home and disapear off com's for a few hours here and there, I'm sure it would be hell.

I'm considering staying three weeks on 30mg before descending to 20mg.

If you read the guide at the top of this forum, it does say 5mg drops every two weeks, so I may go and see my GP and request some of those.

Cheers,

T

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, which is strange that I would be joining as I am now feeling strong enough to come off my citalopram 40mg daily for the past 6 years.

The bit I have decided is not right for me is the lack of emotion, I don't get excited, sad or angry and I enjoyed my emotions even if PA were scary, at least it was a feeling, I have none.

I use to feel so proud of myself if I had betten an attack, walked further rather than run away, stayed in the shopping line, from there it made me feel stronger, I don't get that any more...the pride has gone, my strenght has gone, I am just here going through the motions of a life, not really living it.

So I have decided to live again !!! sometimes it's going to be hard and scary but altleast I will be feeling something.

Well 6 days ago i went from 40mg to 30mg, just a few dizzy spells, but I think my propanalol helps with the control of the side effects...so here gose, I'm comming back to life....watch out world

Tammy....XXX

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information