Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off Citalopram

Re: Coming off Citalopram

In hindsight I think I was mis-prescribed Citalopram. I had a big breakdown due to PTSD at work about 10 years ago - Citalopram eventually pulled me through it but it is a medication that has its own issues and coming off was almost as traumatic as going on them!

In December when I started a new job I got stressed out due to the whole new environment thing and a rubbish boss and anxiety kicked off out of the blue. My GP put me back on Citalopram on the basis of "it worked last time" - but these were different circumstances. Ok to condense this tale down - going on 20mg sent me into orbit - increased the anxiety, enduced PA's and a whole raft of disturbing side effects that weren't in place before. Changing meds was discussed as was coming off but I kept getting told you need to persevere to get the full benefit. 4 months later I was feeling better but mainly because the circumstances at work had improved - the medication was still reaking havoc. You know the score, tinitus, derealisation, strange episodes of spaceyness and after time even an anxiety of health and mortality crept in! So...I came off, reduced by 5mg every 4 weeks or so til zero. The first 10 days or so was ok - then the withdrawl side effects started...
    Its now about 7 or 8 weeks since I stopped and my Seratonin levels have been on their own person roller coaster ride - I can see why people run back to meds but it IS getting better week on week, its just an occasional minor irritant now rather than thinking that I am completely relapsing. Coming off was the right thing to do but everyones journey is different

Hello all, I'm keen to stay in touch and let you know how I'm progressing- and I am progressing!

I'm really relieved to say that, since I last posted my sleep is largely uninterrupted and if I do wake I get back to sleep pretty quickly... I have been waking earlier (and staying awake) but I'm putting that down to the sun rising earlier and it being summer

In a way that's better too because by the evening I'm ready to sleep

The worst of the symptoms have gone

I get the occasionally mild wooshy head feeling but I've figured this is occurs when I'm tired and that's it's a sign I should be turning in

I'm still a little crabby and snappy at times (when I'm tired or if the situation is stressfull), but I tend to recognise that and correct myself... however, on Saturday night I enjoyed a couple of drinks (alcohol) and being a depressant that made me tired, I should have gone to bed, but I didn't and I was in a foul mood as the night wore on... a big mistake

I did go out last night though and (don't get the wrong impression) enjoyed a couple more drinks- this time in company- and I went to bed feeling fine, relaxed, contented and with no ill effects today (I don't drink that much!)

Generally I feel upbeat and self-assured, I'm expecting to have a downturn but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and keeping my moods and behaviours in check

I must say that I do wish I'd cut down in the manner described by cpt, the abrupt stop didn't do me any favours

I'm also feeling a sense of achievement that I didn't go back to my GP and request I be put back on Citalopram, although there were times initially where I felt that might be the only solution

I don't feel there's a blanket method or process as to what to do when coming off Citalopram, it's what works from individual to individual- and there's no shame in prolonging the treatment if it helps you come off (should you choose to) in the long term- so please don't take my story as a step-by-step guide, it's purely mean't as an anecdotal explanation of what happened to me and how I've coped with the withdrawal symptoms

I'll stay in touch

Best to all

I have just been to the doctors today to talk about coming off Citalopram. Ive been on them for about 12 months now on a 60mg dose after being on fluoxetine for about 5yrs on the same dose. I have also experienced the same side effects people are talking about after missing a tablet here and there. But

now im really worried coming off them is going to be a battle?! Especially at such a high dose?!

Hi all,
    Just an update on my experience with coming off citalopram. I think it's been about 3 weeks now since I cold turkeyed (the days are a blur!), the first week was horrendous and I really didn't think I'd get through it. But I persevered, and I'm pleased to say IT DOES GET BETTER!!!!

Having an off day today, but in general, I'm having more good than bad days now. So to all of you feeling really crappy at the mo, hang on in there, the side effects are only temporary.

Good luck everyone.

Love Shell.x x

Hi All

Just thought I would add my symptoms coming of AD,S. I have been on them sice March this year for anxiety. I tried 3 different sorts including citralopram but could not get on with them due to the side effects. I had head rushes, electric zaps running through my head and body, bruises on my legs and arms and it made my anxiety worse.

Anyway I am now 4 weeks off them, cold turkey which my doctor advised. I have had electric shocks through my head and body every minute of every day, blurred vision and feeling shaky. I do feel a lot clearer in my mind and more myself. I have been taking B6 complex, calcium and magnesium and lemon balm and they seem to help.

Does anyone know how long these withdrawrul symptoms last for? I wish they would go.

Sharona

Ive cut down my tablets from 60mg a day to 40mg a day for about a week and feeling really good. No side effects or anything!
    Does anyone have any advise as to how long I should stay at 40mg for before cutting down again?

Personally I would give it another 2 weeks and see how you are.It doesnt pay to rush coming off these type of meds.All the best Suex

Hey,

After 4 weeks off citalopram I think the side effects have finally shifted! My sleeping has got more normal (not constantly tired!), the weird spasm, pulsing brain sensations have finally stopped and the long weekend of complete emotional breakdown I seem to have recovered from.

So glad I am off them now. I know I needed something to see me through a tough time of moving house and changing jobs whilst being depressed, but I would definitely think long and hard about whether I NEEDED them if I was prescribed them again in the future.

Good to be citalopram free... now just to work out the next step in the land of depression and anxiety!

I have been on citalopram for 3 years. On advice from my doctor I started taking them every other day. That went really badly and i had not control over my reactions and contrary to everyone else's symtoms, my memory deserted me completely. Within a week i lost track of when I had taen the last one. I almost hurt my own pets and suceeded in scaring them. I lost tract of just about everything and most of it is just a blur now. As much as I'd like to come off them pills, my biggest fear is that would go through all that and end up back on them or something different or stronger. In reality, although I know I've had help via the pills, they have enabled me to sort things out this time around. They are the fourth pill I've been on and I can't really fault them. I just think it feels a little inauthentic to have you thoughts "managed" by chemicals. But i think I will stay on them whle I sort out my thought processes. I currently studying meditaton and I think this will guide me to dealing with my life without the pills eventually. I think the pills are just to keep us going until we find our paths.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information