Thread: then and now

then and now

I have had panic attacks for nearly 5 years now and have been thinking about my journey,
    for example when it first started this was what my life was like ...
    I couldnt leave the house, couldnt speak on the phone, couldnt open the door to the tesco man, couldnt sit in the doctors waiting room, couldnt drive , couldnt go out to work, couldnt go in shops.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now 5 years later I CAN do everything above except drive alone, I find it a struggle to shop in town alone but HEY when I look back and compare, it makes me realise how far I have come.

It would be nice to hear about some of your THEN AND NOWS ?

mirryx

Well done for coming so far! When I have a then and now post I will be sure to let you know

Lynnann

Hi Mirry

What a brilliant post - it got me thinking - a few years ago when I first got panicky I found it hard to leave the house and hated crowds, I found it a real strugle just going to the local shopping centre and wouldnt let anyone drive me as I had to have my car with me at all times in case I felt 'ill'.

This year has been my turning point and I decided to change my life but in little step by step stages,,, this year I have...

Seen Craig David, West Life, Goo Goo Dolls 'Abba', and Journey South live in concert. (I faced all the crowds and my phobia of crowds has now disappeared).

Ive seen Saturday Night Fever, & Beauty & the Beast at the theatre.

Ive had a weekend away in a hotel with spa/sauna/gym (I hate staying overnight away from home)

I go to the shopping centre every weekend with no probs

Ive let other people drive me around

Ive been to places and not taken my car with me

Its been tough but I feel I am definately beating the panic now.

Just need to face that plane now and have a decent well deserved holiday.

Sounds like you are making fab progress too Mirry - well done. We will beat this completely one day....

Take Care, Sarah xxx

thanks for sharing that sarah, your have done really well

I think its important for people to realise that no matter how bad you may be feeling right now that it does get better.
    I spent years in tears over my panic.....
    I really believe that now days I see the panic as "normal" so if I go out and panic I take it for that "moment" not as my whole life.
    My evidence is this, sometimes I panic and sometimes I dont, so why should the panic ruin days that may be great ?
    When I panic now days I just feel relaxed knowing exactly what it is and that it wont hurt me and that it will pass.
    I know its not easy but somtimes by recording just how bad you used to be and then to look at how far you have come really is an eye opener.

This morning i took the kids shopping and felt really calm, so things are improving and they will for all of us, its just the more you castrophise the condition then you will remain stuck.

Look for the evidence, compare then and now and you will see that you may feel like you havent made progress when infact you have !

mirryx

Thread Information