Thread: Diazapam Withdrawal

Diazapam Withdrawal

Is anybody out there coming off diazapam and having problems with withdrawal symptoms. I have been on diazapam for three years between 6mg and 11mg daily. I have cut it into quarters and come down slowly to a quarter of a mg a day but am experiencing really bad symptoms similar to the ones I went on it for in the first place. I have been told I am addicted. Can anybody help with their own experiences.

Lynne

Hi Lynne, you have seemed to go about it the right way comming off slow and cutting down a bit at a time. best to cut from say 10mg, when realy needed to 8mg and stay on reduced dose for a while before reducing again. But seems you have taken that road I came of diazapam in the past and am now reducing an antidepressant I am on and have cut down from 20mg to 15mg and will stay with 15 for as long as it takes for me to feel ok. After a few weeks of cutting down I did feel pretty bad but this is part of withdrawral. try and stick with cutting down and these bad side effects will go in time. take care, hope you feel better soon, Vernon

Hi Vernon

Thanks for your message. Iam feeling really bad and in need of some support but there is no support where I live. Part of me just wants to go back on but I cannot get any more tablets as my GP will not prescribe any more.

Lynne

Hi Lynne, I stopped taking Diazepam 2 months ago after 18 months. I ran out of tablets and didn't get a repeat prescription. I had some scary moments, but only because I didn't have the tablets. I think I did get addicted to them and there are still times now when I think "I need some Diazepam", but I've managed to keep off them. I was on 2mg as and when needed. I feel so tired now, in fact exhausted, but apart from that I haven't had any panic attacks, which I thought I would have.

Les

I went from 3mg Lorazepam to 2mg of Diazepam in 1 week. I actually felt better. The Lorazepam made me feel worse. The diazepam was easy to stop for me.

hi lynn
    i done the same as you, i reduced the diazapam gradually, i got it down to 2.5 ,that last bit was the worst my god i thought if this is what it does to you then i would rather take them, all the panic came back to me but my doctor gave me buspar as a supplement for diazapam without the side effects, without that i dont think i would have ever came off diazapam, it was a struggle but im glad i did it, so ask your doctor if he can give you an alternative to help you whilst your going through this bad period,one thats not addictive,hope this helps, pm me anytime

take care
    denise

Coming of the stuff is always a nightmare - I've tried and had both sucess and failure over the past few years - the slow and gradually is the only way to go. Just to stop is going real "cold turkey" - believe me I've tried that and it's not pleasent.

Thread Information