Thread: Long lasting chest pain after anxiety?

Long lasting chest pain after anxiety?

Hi everyone. Not sure if this post is better suited here as I first posted it in health anxiety? I'm not totally panicing but would like some advice please.
    I went to the dentist on Thursday and it was really difficult for me to get there, I got in a big panic and was reallllly anxious. I managed it, but ever since I've been having chest pains, so over 2 days now. It's not constant but it's happening quite alot, I was struggling making my bed yesterday because of it and as I type I'm getting waves of pain. I'm not panicing but I am getting slightly worried now only because it's lasting so long. Is it normal to get pains this long after a very stressful/anxious event? Or should I be worried?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Re: Long lasting chest pain after anxiety?

If the pain is that bad, then it is not normal to suffer this degree of chest pain for this long after a panic attack. The most likely cause is muscular strain, which can happen during a panic attack due to the increased tension in the muscles. If it is not constant then it is unlikely to be related to the heart, however if you experience any pain on exertion alon with shortness of breath then you should see a doctor to have it investigated.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I agree with Joelhall.

I get chest pain after after particularly anxious days in my sternum and sometimes my ribs. My GP told me that if you are tense these muscles are particularly vulnerable to "pulling".

Ahh that makes sense, that's probably what's happened, pulled muscle. Damn anxiety! Thanks very much for the advice!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Thread Information