Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback for CBT4PANIC

Re: Feedback for CBT4PANIC

Hi Robin,

Oh how I soooo agree with you on the HA sufferers. I have, many times now, tried to advise sufferers to try CBT and that instead of thinking of their physical symptoms, which I do understand is extremely hard to do, it would be more beneficial for them to focus on the HA as that is the root of the problem. The thing is though, if I'm understanding correctly, sufferers maybe need to be at the end of looking for a physical cause, before they accept that CBT would be helpful to them, I may be wrong in this and it would be interesting to hear from HA sufferers what their views are on this

I suppose it's a case of getting them to understand and believe you.

I was kind of like that when I was completely housebound with agoraphobia, may people told me that in order to overcome my fears that I would have to go out and face them, but my answer for a long time was "I can't" because I couldn't even bare the thought of being out anywhere, it just terrified me.

No one person was able to move me on this until I joined NMP and I found your program, reading through it, I could recognise myself so clearly. So for a good few weeks I just studied it and read it and read it again, and finally, the penny dropped and for the first time in years, I actually had the courage to go out and do it

I want to sometimes scream it from the roof tops, that this can help you, but I guess other folk are like me in the way that they have to wait until their moment is right

If anyone of this thread suffers from any kind of anxiety or panic or both, it doesn't matter what you actually suffer with cos to my mind it's all just about that word "FEAR" and how we interpret it and deal with it, please give CBT4PANIC a try, I never thought anything in this world would be able to help me, but it has, you've nothing to loose, the links to the program are on NMP and some of us have the link to the thread in our signatures, it's not going to cost you any money, which is always a big plus especially now that so many of us are having to tighten our purse strings.

Go for it!!!! Just download it and have a good read, I've read it lots and still read it. I understand that CBT isn't for everyone, we're all different, but why not give it a shot, at least that way you can at least say that you tried and will have lost nothing, but on the other hand, it could work wonders with you and give you back your quality of life

Robin, I have already told my GP about your program, which they were very interested in and I've told a Benefits Adviser, who helps people get back to work following mental health problems, and she too, was very interested and took all the details from me

Re: Feedback for CBT4PANIC

Hi Auntie Moosie

Yes - with CBT for HA one of the first things you have to do is convince the person to 'try it and see what happens' - rather than dismissing their symptoms altogether you just take a neutral stance.

When one is convinced that a symptom is very serious it is hard to hear someone saying they don't really buy that.

So you have to walk a thin line between acknowledging their fear yet trying to get people to see it from a different angle. Not easy let me tell you..

Anyway - thanks once again for recommending CBT4PANIC - I was just thinking that maybe I should put a few pages online so that people can see it is a 'friendly' programme - with lots of cartoons and easy to follow text as opposed to the usual dry 300 page CBT books that look like a school exam.

Thanks again :-)
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information