Thread: Problems eating

Problems eating

Hi,

I'm feeling really bad at the moment. For some reason, my anxiety has gotten worse i think. For the past couple of days i've been finding it difficult to eat or drink anything. When i'm eating and about to swallow, i get a panicky feeling like i think i'm going to choke or be sick. I even feel that way when i'm drinking liquids. It's really scaring me as i had this a while ago and it caused so many further problems for me, making me feel so ill for not being able to eat. Things had been going so well lately as well. I'm so depressed over this, i just can't lift my spirits. I know i have to think positively to escape the trap of making my anxiety worse, but i just can't.

Gregor

www.therapyfinda.com
    http://www.therapyfinda.com/blogs/me...bername=Gregor

Gregor,

Sometimes we feel trapped in this anxiety because we are constantly worrying about it.

So do you think your throat muscles are just tensing up and making eating and drinking difficult. Just keep trying to feed and drink yourself as much as possible. Be aware that you had this before and it went away. It will do so again.

How much distraction are you getting; perhaps that will help?

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

The anxiety is trying to fool you - because you're anzious you tense, and when you tense your tummy and all your other muscles squeeze up, hense you feel sick and unable to eat or drink. I use a positive thought to counteract the negative. something like 'yes I feel tense but I am able to drink a little and eat a little as this is only a FEELING that is making me think I can't. Nothing bad is going to happen, it never has before and it isn't gonna now. ' I hope this helps, and distraction can help diffuse it too. Take care. XX

Hi Gregor,
    I've had same problem as you for the last 2 1/2 yrs. I had a load of tests done cos I thought their was something wrong with my throat but of course everything came back ok and the docs said it was done to anxiety. Others on here have had similar probs and the best thing i suggest is that you keep eating and dont let the fear override your rational thinking ..needless to say i let the fear take over and thats why i still struggle with the problem today! Others have been successful by continueing to eat and ignore the sensations in their throat when they swallow and ultimately the symptoms subside!! Also i strongly advise that you try to incorporate more relaxation in your life ..i.e. listening to relaxation tapes , yoga, or anything to try to bring down your anxiety levels ..it really will make a difference! I really hope this helps you in some way feel free to PM me anytime as it also helps to know some-one else understands what your going through

J Baker

Thanks for your replies. Since i posted that, i had a very good day eating - at every possible moment! then, today, it's been difficult but i'm just about managing to eat. The biggest problem for me is still being able to drink. That's really getting me down, because i'm hardly drinking anything at all at the moment. I think it would really help if i could just take the first step and try to swallow as normal, but everytime i attempt it, i fail.

Thanks for your advice, i will try to get over this..

Gregor

www.therapyfinda.com
    http://www.therapyfinda.com/blogs/me...bername=Gregor

Thread Information