Thread: CBT going well but have got a problem

CBT going well but have got a problem

I have recently started CBT and am about 4 weeks into my course Much of my daytime anxiety symptoms had begun to disappear with the help of some great activities by my brilliant therapist. I was beginning to praise CBT as the panacea I had been waiting for but all is not well

I have started getting really intense nightmares and can wake up 2 or 3 times in the night sweating palpitating trembling almost at the point of panic and it then takes me an age to settle enough to get back to sleep

Is this a normal reaction - to control the daytime symptoms only for them to push their way back out at night when they are beyond my thought control ??

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN

Hi

I replied to your other post about this.

HELP I thought I was winning ...but then

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Nic

Thank you X

JOHN

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I have recently started CBT and am about 4 weeks into my course Much of my daytime anxiety symptoms had begun to disappear with the help of some great activities by my brilliant therapist. I was beginning to praise CBT as the panacea I had been waiting for but all is not well

I have started getting really intense nightmares and can wake up 2 or 3 times in the night sweating palpitating trembling almost at the point of panic and it then takes me an age to settle enough to get back to sleep

Is this a normal reaction - to control the daytime symptoms only for them to push their way back out at night when they are beyond my thought control ??

<div align="right">Originally posted by LLADDIS - 22 October 2006 : 16:39:22</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I think the same skills you use during the day will eventually help you at night as well. I used to wake up in a panic and now I just remind myself that it has happened to me many times before and nothing bad happened and that the physical symptoms of anxiety are not dangerous and it cuts the panic off dead in its tracks and I am usually back to sleep in a matter of minutes.

Ive just started cbt and am on my 4th session. I thought it was working as I really anylise my thoughts now and think them thru but I still cant face going up the escalator in M and S - if it was an ordinary staircase I could do it but I felt so ill just looking at the escalator - I cant bring myself to go up on it alone or even with my other half - help! I hope cbt pays off eventually - apparently it can take several months of sessions to work. Wenjoy x

WENJOY - Stick at it its certainly working for me ......
    I am facing my past demons now and devising my own experiments . I have in about 8 weeks of CBT treatment devised my own methods of dealing with my panics and can now tell when they are about to happen and do something about them before they fully take hold
    I was the worlds biggest sceptic at the start .. but now I would suggest its about time it was available FREE to all on the NHS
    Please dont give up cos it can work
    XXJOHNXX

OH I forgot to mention the nights are getting better too
    The dreams have actualy strted to become NICE ONES too
    I wont go into too much detail cos they may cause a few people to blush ..lol

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Ive just started cbt and am on my 4th session. I thought it was working as I really anylise my thoughts now and think them thru but I still cant face going up the escalator in M and S - if it was an ordinary staircase I could do it but I felt so ill just looking at the escalator - I cant bring myself to go up on it alone or even with my other half - help! I hope cbt pays off eventually - apparently it can take several months of sessions to work. Wenjoy x

<div align="right">Originally posted by Wenjoy - 02 November 2006 : 20:21:42</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    You are on the right track. You may want to try and start countering the thoughts you have about escalators that scare you in a tea form and then try some exposure gradually to them and counter the thoughts that come up as you try the exposures.

Lladdis, I agree with all you had to say ands I am glad you are feeling better.

Thread Information