Thread: Severe panic attacks!

Severe panic attacks!

Hi guys, my anxiety is at an all time high:( I've been feeling incredibly bad over the past few days, and a series of events which occurred over the past 48 hours led me to have a really really bad attack last night which resulted in me calling emergency services as I could not control my breathing and my throat totally closed up and I was unable to swallow.
    I was aware these symptoms were completely anxiety related yet I could not regain control of myself last night.
    Any helpful tips on how you personally deal with severe panic attacks and calm yourself down would be most appreciated. Thank you

Re: Severe panic attacks!

The only way to deal with it is to completely focus on your breathing which I know can be very difficult sometimes when you are having a bad attack. Breathe in through your nose very slowly, hold it for a count of 4 then let it out through your nose very slowly, then smile. Keep repeating this until you feel calmer. x

One thing I am trying to do at the moment is to properly understand panic attacks. By this I mean, what happens in that moment, for me it is largely heart palps and intrusive thoughts. I am trying to document everything that happens and where it happens, for example, for me I know that panic occurs on trains, usually the second the door closes. By imagining what happens I have found that it helps a little bit when it comes, helps me to remember that a) I was expecting it b) I have already understood the physical reactions. I can't claim to be panic free, but I have taken train journeys both today and yesterday, and experienced panic each time (return journeys, I must enjoy putting myself through hell ) and the pre-work and planning has made a difference.

I am reading Claire Weekes' book at the moment, and the above came from that and the analogy she uses about planning and practice is that of a concert pianist (or similar) practicing before playing a concert.

Hope you are feeling a little better today

Thank you Annie and Greg! I can sympathise with you Greg, I suffer from terrible train anxiety myself :(. I've actually ordered a couple of Claire weeks books today, so hopefully I will find them useful.
    Keeping a journal sounds like a good idea, do you find that understanding the thought process prior to an attack helps to control further attacks? X

I am still early in the experimentation phase, but yes, the understanding has helped me. I mentioned the beating heart and thoughts. When they come, they're still not nice, but I have been conscience that I have been thinking, 'OK, I was expecting to feel like this, I understand that these are just thoughts...' Etc etc. then it's about putting it into practice. I wouldn't say I'm controlling the attacks, but I do feel like I'm facing them a little more positively in a way that doesn't entirely rob me of control if that makes sense

Hi, i have been a sufferer for many years now. Unable to leave my house etc which has taken years of my life i will never get back. I went to the library to see if i could get some self help books. I found Master your Panic and take back your life, by Denise F Beckfield PHD. Its a twelve treatment session book which i followed to the end. This book has changed my life, honestly, i am so much better now, not completely cured but enough for me to live my life again. Maybe you could give it a try too.

Thank you lynny I shall take a look at that bookI'm currently reading one of Claire weekes books which I'm finding quite helpful x

Thread Information