Thread: No sleep last night I feel awful

No sleep last night I feel awful

Recently ive been having a feeling like theres a lump in my throat and a persistent cough. Last night I think I worried myself and was having waves of anxiety. The tense feeling and feeling really hot and having a dry mouth the usual anxiety symptoms.

It lasted pretty much all night though and im still anxious now as im writing this. I dont know why im even anxious.

has anyone else experienced this? I dont know what to do.

Re: No sleep last night I feel awful

Hi Dave.. it does sound like anxiety, and you probably already know about the lumpy throat issues that anxiety can bring (globus hystericus). I've not had this symptom for many years, but at one time I was convinced that there was something stuck in my throat, and that eventually I wouldn't be able to breathe or even swallow liquids. I went to A&E, had a doctor look down there with a mirror/magnifying thing, and there was absolutely nothing to see - it was anxiety.

I think maybe it might help you to do a process of elimination, just because this is the time of year when you can pick up throat and chest infections, so maybe see your gp just to check, and if they say there's nothing, try and accept it's anxiety and that it can't hurt you.

Thank you Daisy. Ive not really had a panic attack in so long it just feels like a massive knock back. I have to start work at 12 and I feel completely shattered. I hate it so much I dont want it to take over my life again.

Hi, this sounds like a "blip", where your symptoms temporarily increase in severity. There is often a cause or a number of causes, usually life events, stress etc, but sometimes blips seem to hit you for no reason at all.

The only real threat of a blip is to remind you of how you felt when you were struggling with anxiety; your body recalls moods as well as thoughts and images, so a blip can be disorientating and frightening, especially if you've felt well for ages.

Instead of dwelling on bad memories and current symptoms, remind yourself how well you felt before the blip. Don't just recall what you did, recall how you FELT - were you chatty, good-natured, doing things you enjoyed? Recall those memories. In the meantime, tell yourself that blips are a normal part of the recovery process, they don't last forever and you will conquer this as surely as you did the ones before. Self-affirmation is a good way to overcome blips. Don't attach too much importance to this natural event, acknowledge that it's happened, take some deep, reassuring breaths and carry on with your life. You will prevail.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information