Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HAVE I MADE A COMPLETE FOOL OF MYSELF

hi Caroline
    well done on standing up to the bully boss, that takes guts and you should be proud of yourselfi wish you all the very best in your new job
    take care Mick

3 words that will ensure she plays ball............"constructive dismissal claim".

Should have her cowering in a corner fairly sharpish as she realises she will have to justify the reasons for your resignation under legal scrutiny. The law is much more on the side of the employee than most people realise. Forget it. Bullies are soft as sh*te when the tables are turned.

Good luck with the new job and well done for sticking up for yourself.

Cheers,
    Trev

Ah well done - things always happen for a reason and it looks like it did for you! great for standing up for yourself and remember that anyone would feel anxiuos and worried about starting a new job, not just you so try to go with flow and enjoy your new position.

Good luck

Michelle.

And excellant point, Trev! I don't know a thing about UK employment law, but "Hostile Work Environment" is another nice one here in the states.

And in the case of a poor reference, there is the possibility of slander or libel charges.

Of course employment law in the states is out of control because we sue so much here [xx(][Ugh]

Gosh, well done! For speaking out, for finding new employment, for keeping going! You are doing just fine. Give yourself a pat on the back and move forwards swiftly. best of luck. Cobweb

Thank you everyone of you whohas replied to my topic. I have spend the last two days taking on board everything you have all said to me and used this to try and control my anxiety.

Everything was going great then I took a phone call from my brother in law this evening who said that he had had to give a telephone reference this evening in preparation for one of his employees starting her new job on Monday. Guess What.......anxiety has coming flooding back. What if my new employer contacts my most recent employer for a reference via telephone?????????????? I am absolutely convinced she will say some awful things about me THAT WILL NOT BE TRUE. What on earth will my new employer think?????

I'm now actually dreading my first day on Monday with my new employer.

Please help someone - don't try to protect me with your answer.

Well done Caroline DEBRA

hi caroline

An employer cannot give you a bad reference. It is actually part of contractual employment law unless you were frired for gross misconduct or were fired under certain laws pertaining to fraud, theft or if you were deemed a threat.

References are based on experience, work and judgement based on your past employment history. If your previous employer gave you a bad reference based on her personal point of view you can actually take her to an employment tribunal.

How do I know this. I worked for many years as a manager for a large finance company and part of my responsibility was to understand employment law and train in HR.

Do not worry this employer is legally bound by law to give you a more than saitsfactory reference.

If you want me to send you some links so you can read more information on this please PM me

Good luck with your new job and well done for standing up to her.

sue

xx

scknight

Thanks Sue, I realy appreciate your comments.

Caroline XXX

Sue's spot on. You are not allowed to give a bad reference as an employer.

I bet if you were a fly on the wall in her office she's just bloody relieved that you didn't kick up and will happily give a good reference to keep things smooth her end.

Had you been of a certain type of mentality then you could have probably caused HER no end of concern by not resigning but reporting her for creating an environment where you were bullied and could not face going in to work etc etc. Constructive dismissal is a serious issue and comes with heavy fines and lots of hassle. As I said before, the employee has more rights than most of them realise. I know because I have my own company and if you don't follow certain employment law procedures they come down on you like a tonne of bricks. Some fines are unlimited and each individual mistake in procedure can be individually fined.

As I said, she's probably just relieved you went easily and will want to keep it that way, believe me.

Try not worry about it. Your new employer will make their own mind up about you anyway.

Good luck Monday, it will be fine I'm sure and I hope you like the new job.

Trev

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information