Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help today - ovarian cancer worries

Please help today - ovarian cancer worries

Sorry to be dramatic but could really do with a kind word today.

Ive had pain in my lower right side and lower back since early December. For a week now Ive had some blood loss too (quite slight but there all the same and a week too early for my period).

At A&E I had blood tests, urine tests and an examination by a surgeon and a gyno. All they could find was that the womb felt slightly bulky.They said if the bleeding hadn't stopped in a week get referred to them and they'll check me out.I am also booked in for a smear on Dec 30th.

As a previous agoraphobic and huge anxiety sufferer this has truly terrified me - truly like nothing Ive ever experienced before. This is embarrassing but I am checking my underwear several times an hour convinced there will be some terrible find for me. I cant eat a thing. I cant sleep for longer than about 20 minutes without waking up with a massive panic attack and the whole day is gradually turning into one almighty panic.

Im convinced I have ovarian cancer.Absolutely convinced.Im 38.

Like I say Im booked in for a smear next week and am going back to my doctors tomorrow to try and get him to refer me back to the gyno for a more thorough test.

I don't mind needing tests or and surgical procedure but I really need to know one way or another. I don't fell I can go on like this.

Id be really appreciative of anyone whos come across anything like this to comment. I also take 10mg Citalopram once a day and Propranolol once a day.

Re: Please help today - ovarian cancer worries

I've had something similar that started in the summer. I had an ongoing ache that started one sided low down and then ended up being general pelvic pain. My Dr referred me for a scan which showed I had a small, collapsing cyst that was normal. Since then the pain has gotten a lot less. I still get it and my dr says the next step is a gynae referral for possible endometreosis. I'm currently feeling a lot better so happy to see how I go, as is my GP.

What I'm trying to say is that I also thought about ovarian cancer and googled it obsessively. I even found a site that let you document your symptoms in a diary every day. This just made me 100 times worse.

Good to hear you've got another dr appointment. Have you had a scan? if not that would be a good idea as it can help rule things out.

Thanks fallen angel. Glad to hear youre feeling better too.

Im hoping to get the ball rolling with further tests when I return to the doctor tomorrow but Im really worried that he will refuse to refer me.

I've been having similar issues for the last year missacorah, but I'm not worried about cancer. These types of symptoms are more likely to be fibroids or benign cysts in the uterus/ovaries.

Honestly, so many women go through this and it doesn't turn out to be cancer, it's far more likely to be something more common and benign.

I need to go and get a scan done, have to get on to my doc about that. But for the moment I'm pretty certain it's fibroids so I've been educating myself on them and learning what I can do to reduce the pressure and bleeding.

Did you know that stress can increase fibroid size? So naturally stress reduction is a major part of treating them, and if you're in a very anxious place you really need to work on reducing the anxiety so that your body can heal. You also need to look at things like weight and diet, being overweight can be a factor in this (definitely part of my own problems, I need to loose some) as can a diet that is high in fatty foods, sugar and carbs.

You're doing everything correctly to get this sorted, so be patient and tell yourself that the worrying isn't going to help the process and you need to let it go - tell yourself that every time a worry pops into your head. Your doc should send you for an ultrasound if you'd like a referral, but talk to him level headed about your symptoms and how you're feeling - don't go into panic mode about it, be rational and listen to what he says to you.

Thanks honeylove. Sorry to hear you've had some problems in this area also. You sound like you are a lot stronger minded than I am.

My life has just come to a complete standstill this last week. I cant do anything except worry about the blood loss. I told the doctor last time that the gyno wanted me referred but he made no attempt to do so. If I have to see the same doc tomorrow im frightened he'll ignore me again. At least if I knew I had an appointment on the way it would be a small light at the end of the tunnel x

I've been working a lot on my anxiety to reach a stronger minded place, I'm not perfect but I'm getting better all the time

Have you any tools to help you deal with your own anxiety? It sounds like you could really use some at the moment.

If you talk to your doc in a level headed way then I'm sure he will give you a referral, if he doesn't then it might be time to change GP as you need someone who will listen to genuine health complains.

I have known a lot of people to have the same symptoms as you and it turned out to be a harmless cyst or fibroids.

Two things

You are 38

That means, you are going through hormonal changes, these symptoms are not uncommon at your age.

Ovarian cancer is very rare, rarer in people who are still having periods. Statistically you are extremely low risk.

Also, your GP or the hospital weren't obviously that concerned. If they suspected ovarian cancer they would have run those tests straight away.

I know the fear you feel right now, we all do. You don't want to stop living while waiting for the tests and results, in the meantime perhaps you can practice some CBT techniques to get you through the next few days?

Also, keep yourself as busy as you can. If you celebrate Xmas get busy baking. Keep your mind active, go for walks, read books, just try to keep your mind active.

The problem is I rarely get to see the same doc twice at my surgery but the last one was really unsympathetic.

Ive managed to control my anxiety with meds for the past 5 years or so and have been working/holidaying - infact doing everything I could before I became anxious but these physical symptoms have just knocked me for six x

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Thanks Hypo - some excellent points and advice

Just becoming obsessed now...

Great post from Hypo and some info in there that's helpful for me too!

Misscorah you really need to learn some tools you can use to control your thoughts and panic. Meds are great to help you feel a bit better, but they don't help you learn about your mind and unhealthy/healthy ways of thinking.

CBT suggested by Hypo would be a really good idea for you.

Thanks Honeylove. I attended CBT about 5 /6 years ago and also a group therapy weekly session but ive found this time things are so different as I have physical symptoms rather than just the anxiety I was facing last time x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information