Thread: I want to come off my anti-depressants now!

I want to come off my anti-depressants now!

Hi all

Last week I was feeling very down about my anxiety and some other issues in my life. I have had anti-depressants twice before to treate depression and anxiety at seperate stages.

On Sunday and yestterday I was feeling better but decided last week to see my GP about medication. I am receiving CBT.

This morning I felt very nervous and nauseaus. I could hardly eat (which is my problem anyway) and I was physically sick before work. I still feel incredibly anxious. I have to go into schools on Monday and Tuesday regarding my PGCE and then I am on holiday on Wednesday in Prague. I don't want to feel like this when I do these things.

I think I should stop the medication already until after my holiday. That is two weeks but I go in a week and I don't think the medication will sink in by then. I know it takes time but I feel I've made a mistake.

I think I have added to my problems and made them worse? What happens when I come off them? I think I will get some CBT if I am on the medication still to help me get off them.

Please help!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I can hear what you are saying and totally understand. My gut feeling is stick with them though. I've been on citalopram 20mg/day now for 6 weeks and yes some of the side effects aren't great but I'd rather be here now than where I was a month or so ago.

In general the meds help you through and the cbt should help you re-programme. Might be useful to check out other therapies to support your current regime.

Bottom line...check with your doc.

Take care

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

Hi Rob I agree with Iain I would stick with them,Im on citalopram.It took 2 weeks for the side affects to calm down,but I stuck with it.Hope you feel better soon pet.

Ellen XX

Hi Rob, I stuck with mine and after two weeks i started to feel a little better, after four it was a lot better and after 6 weeks i began to feel like my old self completely Actually better than my old self, which was a constant worrier and had a very negative outlook. i have been on them for four months and I feel so much better, I am getting on with my life and I am putting into place lots of the strategies that I learnt to reduce stress and anxiety in my life, which before I was not in any state to do. I am a teacher and it is a very stressful, as well as rewarding, job, so get into good habits now, that's why it is important that you have CBT. Good luck and enjoy your holiday

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Hiya, I would definately recommend you discuss this with the dr becasue chopping and changing on and off will muck up your system more I think. Until you either stick with them for sometime or reduce slowly I don't think you will feel any balance.
    However, you say you've been on them before so i'm sure you know this so best thing is to voice your concerns with the gp i think.
    All the best
    love Sax xx

Thanks everyone.

I did the right thing and spoke with my doctor. She said they usually encourage people to continue, but as I had important things coming up she allowed me to stop. I had just taken one pill. I need to look medication further and challenege some negative beliefs I have about taking them. I want to be ready and accept the side effects next time. I will probably start properly after my holiday.

Regards

Rob

Well done Rob good decision, very practical!!

all the best for the holiday

love Sax xx[8D]

Thread Information