Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't take this anymore. Epiglottis choking me at night.

Can't take this anymore. Epiglottis choking me at night.

I did a thread a few days ago regarding me waking up choking every night. Well I put it down to refux and started to take lazoprazole which hasn't made a difference.

Tonight was the worst. I woke up choking and ran to the bathroom to get a drink to clear this lump blocking my throat. But it felt like my throat went into spasm with the water and it would throw it back out of my mouth.

I then put my fingers down my throat to dislodge it and felt what I know now is my epiglottis. I really thought I had swallowed something in my sleep.

I rushed to a and e where they had me wait for 3 hours, asked me to take liquid painkillers which number one I told them I wasn't in pain and number two my throat wouldn't allow me to drink from my bottled water so how could I take the sticky liquid?

They were talking to me like a child, asking do I regularly stick my fingers down my throat I said no I did tonight because I was choking! They said it is probably just anxiety and to wait to be seen. Obviously by the time I saw the doctor she asked me to take a drink and it went down.

She looked down my throat fully by asking me to put my head back and really pushing one of the lolly sticks down but she said she couldn't see anything and to just see my GP.

I asked what was the thing I could feel (and pincer with my fingers) and she said I had probably swallowed a bug in my sleep

As a doctor she should know that the thing I was feeling was my epiglottis. Good old dr google helped more than a qualified doctor and thats saying something.

I keep finding that this is all down to GERD and will see my doctor tomorrow. I had no idea GERD could make you feel so ill.

Does anyone else have any experience of night choking?

Re: Can't take this anymore. Epiglottis choking me at night.

hey xxx this is acid reflux hun i have this so i know you need to start gerd medication eg lanzoprozole x try not to eat before bed and cut any fizzy drinks out as this can make things worse dont wprry its normal for gerd sufferers to experience this not nice but the meds take control best wishes sarah xxx

Having had 3 surgeries to remove my palatine and lingual tonsils, many biopsies and 30 radiation treatments to my neck area, I know about choking. For almost 2 months post treatment, I slept in a recliner as I couldn't lay flat in a bed. The mucous was as thick as a jelly fish on the beach and I was choking constantly. Add to that being fed through a tube, reflux and vomiting and you have all the makings for a gag me video!

Your epiglottis prevents food and drink from going down the wrong tube. It's something we don't even think about as it's a natural reflex and functions automatically without thought or effort. It's not something you can feel by sticking your fingers down your throat believe me! It's far down in the back of your throat and can only really be seen by putting a camera down there. I know because I have swallowing studies done every three months to see how that dang thing is working as it was compromised during my treatment. I don't know what you felt but it wasn't your epiglottis. Besides, if it were an issue with your epiglottis, it wouldn't just occur while you were sleeping. Being that it occurs at night when you're lying prone in bed reinforces the inkling of reflux or GERD.

What you eat can have a strong effect on GERD as well as anxiety and stress. see what your doctor says. Perhaps an increase in dosage of the acid reducer or another med/combination will quell the symptoms but rest assured it's not your epiglottis

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 12-01-14 at 00:12.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for your replies. This is getting worse as the days are going on. The lump feeling in throat is so severe (I have suffered with anxiety related globus before and this doesn't feel the same). Its like I have something lodged in my nasal cavity at the back of the dangly thing in your throat and something in my throat.

Last night when trying to sleep I had violent twitches in my temple, face and neck. I am constantly belching which hurts the bit going up to the nasal cavity. Constant throat clearing due to mucous and have now given myself a sore throat.

I have difficulty breathing in my sleep which wakes me up. This morning its like I have a bigger lump of mucous lodged in my throat that warm drinks are not shifting.

I can't explain how severe this feels. Its not like anxiety globus and not like a throat infection its been almost two weeks of weird and distressing throat symptoms beyond my control.

Hi Katiex - how are you now? I'm suffering from the same symptoms at the moment - can't lay down at night, have to sleep propped up. Doctor says she'll refer me to ENT dept at the hospital but she told me to wait 4 weeks to see if things improve. But actually it's getting worse. The thick mucous in my throat is horrible :(

Hi Bluelady

I am a little better in that the throat spasms have stopped happening at night and I haven't had this for a week now.

However just underneath my adams apple I have a tight feeling in my throat, not as bad as what I was getting at night but tight enough to not allow food and drink down.

I have been struggling to eat and drink for 3 weeks now and have a barium x ray and endoscopy next week. I have seen an ent who did a nasal scope and he said the posterior part of my larynx is swollen and inflamed which indicates reflux. My epiglottis is fine.

I have read up on LPR as this seems to be what the problem is and night choking is one of the symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

My epiglottis is visable, and I can easily touch it. I don't know if it was always that way but I only noticed it a few years back. It's more visable when ever I feel like something is caught in my throat.

I really don't know if it's slightly swollen or if it just naturally sticks up! It's not visable in most adults so doctors are always surprised when they can see mine. They always think I'm making it up until they look intou throat.

I've been putting off seeing an ENT because I'm afraid of the numbing spray they use in your nose and throat and I'm also afraid of having that camera put down my nose.

I just thought I'd share.

Did anyone find out the cause? No doctor seems to know what I am talking about. I can feel it constantly and if I put my finger in my mouth it is curled at the back. It is an awful feeling. I feel like I am being choked.

Quote Originally Posted by anitadeanne View Post
    Did anyone find out the cause? No doctor seems to know what I am talking about. I can feel it constantly and if I put my finger in my mouth it is curled at the back. It is an awful feeling. I feel like I am being choked.
    Hi

It's been two years and it is GERD and LPR. Although I still suffer badly some nights I've had a good few months symptom free while I was pregnant last year which indicates that it can be treated.

I've been taking ranitidine which helps my swallowing but I still have episodes.

In fact tonight I googled lump feeling in back of throat and this thread came up. Last night I woke up feeling like I had swallowed something again and today my throats been a bit funny.

HI,
    I get this problem but I know what caused it!
    It started about 3 Xmases ago when I decided to make a huge Xmas dinner - turkey and all trimmings, Xmas pud and custard. While cooking it I kept treating myself to sweets and biscuits - candies and cookies to you lot?
    I ate the turkey and veg but then decided to force the pud and custard down although I was feeling a bit full.
    All seemed OK as I settled in front of telly then about an hour after finishing eating I belched up the most awful mouthful of almost pure acid I've ever done!
    Then some more.
    Each time I rushed to spit out and wash my mouth but for rest of day I was getting lots of reflux.
    This continued for few months before settling with aid of antacids but then I noticed I am having trouble choking almost as though my epiglottis has flapped to close my windpipe when I breathe with my mouth open as when walking quickly.
    It is quite scary as it gives me a great coughing fit.
    I think the acid either seriously burned the epi flap or something similar and now it is too weak or soft to work correctly and chokes me.
    If I'm lucky it only happens a couple of times per day.
    Today it was just once on fast walk to supermarket.
    I wonder if strong acid reflux alters the epiglottis the way it makes the throat lining thick and hard and leads to cancer of the esophagus?
    Last edited by rosewhite; 16-10-16 at 19:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information