Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slight pain in front left rib radiating around the back

Slight pain in front left rib radiating around the back

I posted last week regarding my concerns of pancreatic/spleen problems, I went to the doctor who informed me that when I had an ultrasound on my ovaries in Oct that my pancreas spleen and kidneys were all scanned and no abnormalities found-I can go with this.
    She prescribed me lansoprazole for acid which has started to work.
    However I am still getting a slight niggle in my left rib sort of behind and below my breast which radiates to my back ribs and also upper left back around shoulder blade area.
    I'm really trying not to worry but as the days go on its not getting any better.
    I do have a touch of ibs which is also flaring up ATM but the rib and back pain started prior to the flare up.
    I don't have any sore spots nor does it hurt when I move about so I doubt it is muscular.
    Has anyone had this before?

Re: Slight pain in front left rib radiating around the back

I just replied to someone else in regards to the same thing. . . I didn't answer completely, I fell off a ladder over 10 years ago and dislocated my left rib so now its vunerable to any small changes - sitting standing etc. But you don't have to have had an injury to get what I get. I get 2 things, Chondritis is the nagging, pulsating, annoying pain which isn't painful but its there and I have had many a panic attack over the sensations I get along with it. The other thing I get can occur at any time, I can move too quickly and I will be in pain for months unless I go to the chiro and get it sorted. The cartlidge in my ribs pop out and so does my rib. It can be quite painful but it can also be a nagging feeling but I do know the difference as I have to get the ribs popped back in before the pain will go away. The chondritis, there is not really much that can be done to relieve the pain. I have had tons of panic attacks because of the sensation I get, it really varies from numbness over my stomach and in the area, pulsating, a feeling of movement under the skin, this pain is mainly under the left breast. I don't know what causes it but I have a feeling that because that is already a weakness that Im going to always have it come and go. If you have gone to your Dr, and they say they cannot feel anything or see that your rib has popped out, just try and relax, I know its annoying but it really is most likely muscular and its going to take some time for it to settle down.

I can't ever remember doing anything that would cause any pain in my rib and upper back
    Trying so hard not to panic.

I hate having health anxiety, im hoping this turns out to be nothing sinister

pain is still there, on a scale of 1-10 its only at a 2, its more the fact that its there that is worrying me.
    It has now started to hurt in my left armpit area

I'm also having the same issue on the right hand side which is under my right rib and radiating to my back, I had an ultrasound last year and all was clear along with bloods, but still can't help worrying.

The serratus anterior muscle wraps around there, and it's involved with shoulder movement, which also involves shoulder muscles--such as the two teres muscles, which run through the armpit.

I don't know what's causing your specific pain, of course, but there are muscles that can do what you and stressedmam describe.

Quick update from me....

Last Monday-thurs I was good, no pain or anything. Then from fri onwards it is coming back, slowly but surely.
    Really trying my hardest not to panic but its hard, I'm at the docs a not thurs coming but next.
    It's isn't a pain, more like an ache but not there all of the time.

Been taking 30mg lansoprazole which I though were helping, obviously not.

I also though it could be trapped wind... Bt I'm not so sure .

I have had a pain very similar to what you describe for about 6 months. Mine is on my right side though. It never moves.. it's always the same spot. Not tender to the touch.

I'm going to offer my reassurance to you, even though I can't reassure myself. If you had no pain for several days last week, it cant be anything sinister. Something sinister wouldnt come and go. It would be there constantly.

My pain/ache/feeling isnt there in the morning, it comes on gradually throughout the day and stays there until I get into bed. It doesnt wake me up in the night and I dont feel it until after lunch the next day... God knows what it is! I'm at the point now where I'm too scared to go to the doctors about it!

This is the exact type of pain I get when I have acid. How long have you been taking the lansoprazole? Enough time for it to be working? It's best to go back to the doctors and explain that you're still in pain if the lansoprazole isn't working well enough because there are other alternatives within the same drug class and they sometimes like to do a little more investigation (breath/blood test for H Pylori and an endoscopy) to make sure you don't have an infection, an ulcer, or hiatus hernia etc. These are all pretty common and basically harmless things but they're uncomfortable.

Also, do you smoke? I recently kicked myself after quitting smoking cold turkey and seeing the tremendous acid problems I had battled for around 7 years - almost completely unhelped by lansoprazole, and which I've had thoroughly investigated with several procedures - completely disappear a few days after I stopped smoking. Additionally, I noticed my anxiety was much, much lower. So I looked it up and yes, smoking irritates your stomach lining and gives rise to painful acid feelings in the sorts of places you're describing. So if you smoke, give quitting a go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information