Thread: Infertility anxiety

Infertility anxiety

Hi all,

I've not been here for a while as have been having psychologist sessions which have really helped me ... but the subject of this thread is nearly always at the back of my mind. I don't get huge anxiety attacks about it, just huge pangs of sadness and an anxious feeling that it'll never happen for me.

We have been trying to conceive since late September which I KNOW isn't that long in the grand scheme of things but we haven't been successful yet. I have left all the online baby groups I was a member of but my Facebook seems to be flooded at the moment with scan pictures and newborn babies whereas for me it hasn't happened.

Logically I know I shouldn't be worrying yet but when anxiety kicks in ... well, you know the rest, right? A lad at work today had to rush home as his wife was in labour with their third, a girl from uni just posted a picture of her newborn on FB, my ex is a recent new father ... loads of people. It seems to be happening to everyone but not me.

My gyno found a uterine polyp which I am having removed in ten days which I am terrified about. I know that this can hamper chances of getting pregnant but I am also terrified that it has done my insides damage. I am dreading the doctors telling me that I will never become pregnant.

REading this back I feel ridiculous. And I know there are more important things in the world. But I want this so badly and my illogical anxious mind seems to be taking over and I don't know what to do. I have exercises from the psychologist that I am trying to put into practice but this afternoon my mind just isn't strong enough, I don't know why. I want to cry. My husband tries to understand but I think he gets bored of the same old upsets so I don't feel like I can talk to him.

Has anyone ever had any similar experience?

Thank you.

V

Re: Infertility anxiety

I've had several uterine polyps removed.
    Don't worry about it. It's a simple procedure, and uterine polyps are nearly always benign. Nothing to worry about.
    They can cause infertility; ask your doctor.
    They can act as a natural IUD, and prevent fertilized eggs from implanting, as well as causing mild inflammation of the endometrium, causing it to be inhospitable to fertilized eggs.
    For what it's worth, I had a polyp removed in December of 2010, and got pregnant two months later, in February of 2011. My son is now two.
    Good luck.

I was just reading an article today about what stress can do to a woman's cycle. Try to relax!

FWIW, my grandmother had what I assume was a uterine fibroid. She never expected to be able to have a baby, and in fact did not know she was expecting my Mom until she was about 5 months along and felt movement. She carried my Mom right along with the fibroid, and had her by C-section when she was 42 years old. :-)

Thank you both for your comments. It's comforting to know that pregnancy IS possible ... I know I need to relax though. Also comforting, GlassPinata, to read that you fell pregnant two months after removal - I heard recently that removal could improve chances due to fresh bloodflow to the uterus but me being me I didn't fully believe it.

only a week and one day to go ...

Dear Violeta trying for a baby since September isn't really regarded as infertility. A year is a reasonable time to expect a pregnancy if everything is 'normal' The uterine polyp is being removed and then you will need to discuss with your surgeon your chances of becoming pregnant. I tried for eight and a half years then successful IVF before we had our son now nearly sixteen. Best of luck. EJ

Thread Information