Thread: Does this sound ridiculous!

Does this sound ridiculous!

I have suffered with anxiety for what seems since i was 18 and im nearly 23-recently i have had really bad symptoms that have had to make me give up my job as a beauty therapist. i had never felt the unreality/dp effects before and i have felt like i was dying but just taking my medication and taking one day at a time.I dont have much trust in doctors for some reason as i tend to think that it is easy for them to pass you off as having depression when surely there are many medical conditions where symptoms of unreality,confused neg thoughts come into it.

I would be happy to have a scan of my head just as peace of mind that there is nothing medically wrong with my brain as it elevates my anxiety so much more when feeling spaced out etc and not feeling normal. But it's not as simple as that as doctors dont just allow this when they dont think anything is wrong.i dont know how i can overcome this!!!

Hi Katty,

Unfortunately, our doctors have such a limited amount of time to spend with patients; therefore they can only look at the presenting symptoms and try to treat them, rather than a holistic approach.

I get really stressed and tearful when I talk to my GP, and I know she thinks I am suffering from depression. My anxiety gets me down but I know I'm not depressed!!!

Also, with NHS funding, you cannot get tests done just to reassure yourself that everything is fine. It's only when your symptoms fit the bill that they will send you for something like a scan.

I am having counselling at the moment, with some CBT methods, and I am finding this to be of help. I think with us "health anxiety" sufferers, it is down to us to try and re-educate ourselves not to jump to the worst possible conclusion at every opportunity. I wouldn't say I'm there yet, but I've noticed some improvement since I've been learning to challenge my thoughts.

Try to be reassured that your GP is not concerned about your symptoms. I know that they are very real and awful for you (and I don't think anyone who hasn't suffered them can really understand, even if they are a doctor!) - but GPs are very aware of what they are looking for when it comes to serious illness and if they have the slightest concern, they are duty-bound to refer you for further investigations.

I don't know if you are receiving any kind of help in the way of medication or therapy, but maybe you should speak to your doctor about this and see if you can go down this route. From my experience, even if you get reassurance that one symptom is not life-threatening, another one will soon come along that sends you off into a panic again.

I hope you find something that helps you.

Best wishes,
    Caroline

Thread Information